AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally had our talk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Plow79
Posted 10/21/2007 22:36 (#224201 - in reply to #223920)
Subject: Grass

Chilliwack BC
It's a humid climate here with lots of moisture. Dad said that if the alfalfa got wet, it would turn to mush and not be too great. Also, to make hay here, it must be tedded every day, not just inverted once, which doesn't sit too well with leaf loss. There is very little of it here, but not as much hay is made here anymore either so there might be an increase of alfalfa, in time. Our cousins have a field of it and are very happy with it. Hardly any dairies make hay here anymore. Corn and Grass are all chopped and hay comes from Alberta, Washington or Oregon. Tedding is just too time consuming to bother with for most people. Also, its generally too humid to get the moisture low enough for big squares, and small squares have the nickname "idiot blocks", although we made 10,000 of them this year.

I thought about the $25 a ton a bit. When that corn was planted and the exchange rate was 85%, that $25 matched pretty close to $30-$35 around here. Nobody's cost of production changes since it was planted though. Also, how far are you from the dairy? I figured if costs close to $1 per ton per mile to truck it so if you're a few miles away he naturally would have a lower value for your crop compared to 1 mile away. I was just thinking.

Pierre
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)