AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 1895 disk drill versus an air hoe drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

poorboy
Posted 10/16/2007 13:16 (#220515)
Subject: JD 1895 disk drill versus an air hoe drill

Southern Alberta
Dealer would like to sell me an 1895 JD disk drill. I am using a bourgualt airdrill now and like it but would like to seed more acres per day. I live in south central Alberta on clay soils and seed peas, barley, canola and wheat.

For those who have switched or tried both drills I have some questions and concerns.

1. do you actually seed more acres per day, and what speeds do you travel with disk drill. I travel 6 mph now with my hoe drill.

2. Will the disk drill penetrate the residue when the straw is damp. I often seed 20 hours/day.

3. Is there an issue with crops freezing off in the spring (ie. canola)? Is maturity delayed on these crops in the fall? I will have canola freeze of about 1 year in 10 now with my bourgault airdrill using 3/4 inch knives and because of the fall frosts I need decent maturity times to get top grades on wheat.

4. How much maintence is there on a disk drill? Can you just replace lots of wear items in the off season and have fairly trouble free seeding each spring, or do these drills have steady bearing failures after the drill gets to be 4-5 years old.

Thanks for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)