AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

APEX Yield Maps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 10/10/2007 02:48 (#217113 - in reply to #216927)
Subject: Cutting them a little slack...

Ok... the FODD with a version of EIC that solves the problem is now posted on the FODD Updates page.   Anyone can grab it.  You will also want to get the latest version of FODM, found at the bottom of the page, as the FODD expects to find the new version of FODM that supports reading back product mixes recipes defined on the fly.

I don't know if SMS uses the FODD.  They've never said.

Now that the dust has settled, I guess I'm going to cut Deere a little slack on this one.  Was it a really big screwup?   Yeah, in my book it was.   But I think it happened because they were trying to do right.   Deere has said they have EIC, and that is their commitment to third-party support.   It was a noble gesture, but not a lot different than other companies that provide a component.   Problem was, they didn't allocate any resources to provide the support needed by third-party developers.

Part of this last issue was a function of them fixing this.   Over the summer, they added dedicated staff to the EIC effort.   They just did get a new dedicated lead developer and a documentation person is coming on board.  I think there are two other development resources coming on board, or that have just arrived.   Unfortunately, this transition occurred about the time that this issue was discovered, so there might have been a little bit of "who's on first" going on relative to the new team knowing enough history about what had already been released to the field, etc.

And, to compound the problem... when a correction was released, it was released as a version of EIC that was more advanced than the current GS2 hardware, so even though it fixed the yield problem, we couldn't release it because existing GS2 controllers couldn't read the setup files and Rx's that we were writing.   This version of EIC, released to all developers, has features that we can start programming against so that we have a chance at providing full support for the new GS2 features that will be available in the next major hardware update.   Now THAT is the kind of third-party support that we've been expecting all along.   Ag Leader has given us a couple of preview releases in the last year, and Raven has shared some advance information, so I hope this is an industry trend that continues.

For the guy focused on getting a yield map done in the short term, this whole thing was a debacle.  But, personally, I'm going to give Deere a little break on this one... the debacle occurred because they were in a transition to a dedicated EIC team, and because they were trying to give us an advance shot at providing support for new hardware features.  Both are very good things.   There was just a little bit of "no good deed goes unpunished" going on, and I don't want to punish them too bad, or we might not get any more good deeds.

And... I'm not committing to giving them  a break if it happens again Sealed

PS:  The new EIC is MUCH faster for reading data too Wink

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)