AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using charts to help with marketing crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 10/5/2007 06:39 (#214660 - in reply to #214569)
Subject: Re: Using charts to help with marketing crops

I am going to disagree with you. When I first began trading in 1962, I was the assistant manager in a large grain cooperative & the manager and board had no problem with me also trading for my own account. In those days, producers began to sell corn during the 3rd week of June, if the crop looked good (usually looks good in June) & sell the balance of their inventory in the late summer after they sold their hogs and cattle. In the 1966 thru 1969 period the russians began to buy a little grain from us ( a lot more later), the stock market peaked in January of 1969 & speculators became more interested in futures..in those days, the commercials and a handful of experienced "locals" on the trading floor were the big players in these markets. When they sensed the commercials had big buy orders below the market...the "crowd" was a buyer...today, with electronic trading and the large funds in the market...the markets are easier to follow--the funds "discount" the news considerably in advance..the difficulty arises when the funds enter and exit the market..their volume is so massive the price moves are bigger but after a few days when the "fog clears"..a chart provides a snapshot to bring the market back into reality. I would agree, for producers, it is extremely difficult to evaluate sell points when you market your crop two or three times a year, but such tools as HTA offer more flexibility as long as the service charges are not too high.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)