AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4 vs 5" tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 6/13/2012 09:58 (#2427957)
Subject: 4 vs 5" tile

I have noticed that in our area a lot of people are using 5" tile instead of 4". I understand that if you are draining more acres you need a larger tile, but most of them are using the 5" on short laterals where they would have over a 1/2 drainage coefficient with 4" and closer to a 1" drainage coefficient with 5. One of the arguments for going with the 5" instead (and I think it is a good one) is that it gives a bit of extra room for mistakes- your grade can be off more than an inch with 5" and it will still have the capacity of 4").

My question is for the guys that have used both on short laterals (less than 1000'). Have you seen any better performance from the 5" over the 4". Further, has anyone dug up both that have been in for several years and found that one is silting more than the other. I realize that the higher the flow rate, the better, but a lot of this tile is dumping into mains that can only handle a 3/8 drainage coefficient and often less than that. What have you seen or what have your yield maps shown?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)