AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

remodel old farm house or build new?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 6/5/2012 09:50 (#2415112 - in reply to #2414304)
Subject: Re: remodel old farm house or build new?

Martinsville, Ohio
I have never built new. We bought this 1880 homemade brick in 2004 for a big price. It was remodeled in th 70's and now we have remodeled everything but the two upstairs bathroom. New roof, new central heat and air we heat and cool inexpensively, a few new windows, all floors redone, all wallpaper down and repainted, electric brought up to code as it was home wired too pretty much and I bet we have 50 in just the house, maybe more, over 100 in the 5 acre farmsted including 5 grain bins, large Morton, old horse barn and and painted hog barn. It looks great and we get lots of compliments but it is getting more than we can take care of in our early grandparenting years and would like a single floorplan. 21 steps to the bedroom, still good for us but I can't do that forever?

Your plan sounds good but it really depends where the two of you want to live, I assume there are two. What you look at and what you have to do to maintain makes a lot of difference in your daily routine and your perspective. Our decisions have to be two for one with give and take.

I would not want the hassle of renting a house out here but if you do it, it could be a big money maker the way your plan reads. I have done it most of my life and glad its over.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)