AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

remodel old farm house or build new?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

linsal
Posted 6/4/2012 23:04 (#2414507 - in reply to #2414464)
Subject: Re: remodel old farm house or build new?

Richland Center, Wi
My wife and I have a 4 square brick house and chose to remodel. It is a 30x32 house with a 16x16 wing where the summer kitchen used to be. We did a down to the studs remodel, with new wiring, furnace duct work, plumbing, sheetrock, new kitchen cabinets, etc. The 16x16 wing used to have an attic...we took that out and made a vaulted ceiling. The stairs used to go different directions in the house...they were all reoriented to go the same direction. We had 4 bedrooms upstairs, now there are 3---one of the bedrooms was turned into a spacious master bath. There is another full bath upstairs at the end of what used to be a hallway. We also have a stack washer/dryer in a laundry closet on the second floor. There is a nice kitchen, living/dining room and 3/4 bath on the first floor (which has another stack washer/dryer for my everyday clothes). We had a nice stand up attic and finished that space off as well.

We spent about $100K and have a modern home with character. Plus the way property taxes work here, you can spend a ton of money fixing up an old house and not pay any more in taxes as long as you don't build on. We used local Amish contractors for all the construction work...English contractors for the wiring, HVAC, and plumbing.

Edited by linsal 6/4/2012 23:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)