AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chickens..... again!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 10/2/2007 08:57 (#213132)
Subject: Chickens..... again!

Some of you might remember my questions this spring about raising a few broilers for the freezer and sell some to the neighbors/friends.

Thought i'd give an update.... The project went better than we expected, the boys pitched in and helped as much as they could and the broiler crop was successful.

A couple things we learned the hard way.

Don't overfeed them, they die of a heart attack if they grow too fast. We restricted their feed to 12hrs per day, but still lost a couple.

They eat like pigs. 40 broilers ate somewhere around 300lbs of feed. Wow, all they do is eat and drink. Kinda reminds me of some of my former college classmates!

They taste GREAT, there are flavors in chicken I forgot about. The people who bought them also raved about the taste and quality of chickens.

If you do a job well, it pays off in personal satisfaction and the approval of others. The boys learned this one, and that was the point.

We're currently raising the second batch of brolers because of re-orders and new customers. This time it's 80 and they were all sold before we ordered the chicks. Hmmm, the way this is going, it may be a new enterprise for the kids!

Thanks for all the advice this spring, it all helped.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)