AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone using Verizon Jetpack for home internet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Tim..swIL
Posted 5/29/2012 23:23 (#2404914)
Subject: Anyone using Verizon Jetpack for home internet?

Freeburg, IL
For nearly 8 years I have relied on Hughes satellite internet. I just went to speedtest.net and ran download speed of 0.4 mbps and upload of 0.19 Mbps. We would be on the fringe of 4G, don't know if we'd get it or not. The local co-op went with a Verizon Jetpack in one of their offices. They seem to be pleased with it. I'm sure they'd rather have a fast pipe, but Jetpack works.

Is anyone using this for their home internet? If so, how do you like it. We'd be currently connecting 4 devices and when my wife gets a smartphone, 5 devices. Mainly only using 2-3 devices at a time.

My options are stay with Hughes or go to Jetpack or another cell provider. We're 100% Verizon and prefer to stay with them.

Thoughts? Comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PLO NW MN
Posted 5/29/2012 23:56 (#2404996 - in reply to #2404914)
Subject: Re: Anyone using Verizon Jetpack for home internet?

NW MN
Can usually return cell phones/mobile hotspots in either 15 or 30 days. Give it a try and just make sure you know what your full return/refund window is and try to squeeze every bit of use out of it you can.
dieselade
Posted 5/30/2012 07:46 (#2405258 - in reply to #2404914)

wc in
very satisfied with the verison hotspot here...but i can see towers to the south but dont know which they are unless most use same towers. my friend has the att wireless internet and likes it..
ncook
Posted 5/30/2012 12:28 (#2405634 - in reply to #2404914)
Subject: RE: Anyone using Verizon Jetpack for home internet?

Clinton County, Michigan
The good thing about the little hotspots is you can set it in the window where the signal is best and the computer can be across the room. Even if you can't get 4G, it falls back to 3G and you should still be a litte better than 0.4 dn. The 4G speed can't be promised as a constant though, I have seen down speeds anywhere from 5-19M.
One thing to ask yourself though, are you willing to be on a "capped" usage plan? If you are just doing general surfing & NAT you will be fine. But if it going to be used for video streaming (Netflix) you could go over the 5GB mark.

Edited by ncook 5/30/2012 12:30
Tim..swIL
Posted 5/30/2012 17:57 (#2405946 - in reply to #2405634)
Subject: RE: Update

Freeburg, IL
I swung by Verizon and decided to give it a try. I ran a test on my Hughes and a test on Verizon, which I'm pulling 4G.

Hughes dowload: 906 kbps
Verizon download: 20037 kbps

Hughes upload: 165 kbps
Verizon upload: 6493 kbps

WINNER: VERIZON!!!!!

Goodbye Hughes! It was a miserable 7 1/2 years!
4wdaaron
Posted 5/30/2012 21:04 (#2406235 - in reply to #2404914)

Northern Indiana
Might consider a 4G tablet for an internet source too.. sometimes they get a better signal, might help if you're on a fringe area
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)