AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybean seed trench smear
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notillr
Posted 10/1/2007 09:18 (#212666 - in reply to #212339)
Subject: RE: soybean seed trench smear

WC ILL or on a HD on a road to 'somewhere'...

After 25+ years of worrying about it in notill, the best suggestion I can give you is to just quit worrying. Sidewall compaction in beans is just nowhere near the issue that it is in corn. If it was, there would have never been any decent beans behind the 750 drills for all these years, 'cause nothing was any better at 'slit & smear' as they were.

I really did worry about it in the past. I had all the fancy decorations hanging from my bean planter, as well as the one I used for corn. What I noticed, though, was that not only the beans from the JD drill doing just fine, but so were the ones in the wheel tracks of Kinze planters. A friend of mine once had one of those w/ the corn rows set up w/ the martin system. The beans rows were still the old JD design. When the beans come up, there was no way any of us were ever going to know which were which w/ out counting from the guess rows. Even the wheel track rows from the planter cart were indistinguishable from the rest. My bean planter now has just CIH tires (which I would NOT buy again) & JD rubber closing wheels behind a fairly aggressive coulter ( still the best option for a loose seed trench).

All that said, it's still pretty tough to beat the seedbed created by a good old coulter cart drill, for notill beans - but they DO pack the ground, just like the fancy new tillage tools....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)