AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got my SMS maps downloaded
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 9/30/2007 19:45 (#212292 - in reply to #212265)
Subject: RE: Got my SMS maps downloaded

Colby, Kansas
what else have you noticed and done something to increase yields from those areas that don't yield to expectations??

I think you are at the stage where guys have to start thinking a little bit about what their management philosophy is going to be with this new data. Its interesting that when the whole precision ag thing got started we were going to use this data to make the poorer areas yield better and "even out" the variability in our fields, in reality there are some areas that will never yield the same.

I think the value in yield data is identifying those areas that are different (as you have already done), then figure out why they are different, and is it something you can fix economically. If it can be fixed, then fix it, and of not then thats probably a good spot to start reining in the input cost. The selected soil sampling you mention is an excellent place to start.

In SMS you should be able to determine those coordinates, and possibly even create a sampling plan. I'm not familiar with SMS that much so someone else on the precision page could help you on that specifically. Remember that when you go to soil sample a selected area for investigation pull enough samples and enough cores into each sample to get a true representation of that area,, e.x. don't just go pull one sample in the middle of the area your interested in.

Just some thoughts, its fun to see people get excited about yield data again.

Best Regards,

Lucas Haag
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)