AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 9/30/2007 23:08 (#212485 - in reply to #212168)
Subject: RE: What would you do?

West Union, Illinois

CND - 9/30/2007 12:28 Lets say you have a landlord (distant family) who you have rented ground from on shares for the last few decades and this year you went to cash rent, now he wants a detailed report of how our yields were and the prices that we sold the crop for. Do you do it? or Do you tell him it is none of his business? For the quality of the land that he has he is getting top dollar with the cash rent.
I guess my first question is why did it change to cash rent?  Was it his idea or yours?

I suppose I'd be diplomatic.  I would provide him with yield data ... it IS his property and with that long a history I could understand wanting to know.  But I would tactfully explain to hims since I assumed all the risk I won't be providing any of my personal income data in writing.

You might go to the local elevator and see what fall delivery price was the day it was planted.  Tell him IF I had contracted the crop the day it was planted I would have grossed $xxx.  But be sure and bring up your fuel cost is $xxx per acre this year, your fertilizer cost is $xxx per acre this year, and you assumed all the risk.

Be sure and tactfuly stress the fact that yes, prices did swing this much this year.  But swings go both directions and you assumed all that risk to guarantee his income.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)