AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

milo stalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 10/3/2007 05:40 (#213597 - in reply to #212608)
Subject: Re: milo stalks

Panhandle of Texas

I know I'm a long way from you (physical distance), but we do a bunch of milo field graze-outs, here in the Texas panhandle.  I would venture to say that 75% +/- of the milo fields in this area get eaten off by [primarily] mother cows.

As for price, there are several ways (again, this is for this area...but surely it can help a little bit):

By the acre ($) : A few years ago I had a bunch of stalk fields, and was approched by a man that paid about $15/ac.

He was a fair man, and we came to an agreement as to a fixed put on/take off date.  He did not eat the field into the quick, nor did he have the cattle in the field when it was wet.  He supplemented the cows with 20% NP Cake, too.  By the acre can be risky, if you get a squirl for a tenant.  After all, it should be a fairly easy arrangement to make....

By the head per month:  I believe the last I paid was about $14 per head, per month.  I like this way of lease the best.  If I am long on stalk fields, I can lease some out, (again, to a fair, like minded person) and most of the time, the tenant and I [both] keep an eye on the field.  I will give the tenant all of the advanced notice I can as to when he needs to pull off.  Generally, about a one month notice will suffice.

Are these rates too cheap?  Too high?  Are you laughing, or am I putting you to sleep? LOL

These are our 'dryland rates'....For me...in the tip of TX.  Too, I may have it all wrong..Last year, we did not have hardly any stalk fields due to the milo lodging so bad...we had to pick it up off of the ground; thereby leaving [practically] no stalks.  I have not bought nor sold any stalks for a year +, so I may be behind the curve..(??)

*For me, as long as it is relatively dry, grazing does not 'ruin' everything (pertaining to compaction).  We will sometimes rip the field, after the cows are out,  at about 7 inches...It's also fair for you to know that we make our "main living" by running a cow/calf operation...soooooo, cattle ARE important..we generally turn fresh-weaned cows in on stalks, and wow!....the stalks sure do help the cow to 'mend up', get fleshy, and ready to have another calf.

When it rains, we shut the cows out of the field.  This is no problem for us since they have to water on native pasture, anyway.  We put out the tubs of [hard] syrup (ie CrystalLix, or equivalent)  while they are on the stalks.  This is the only time of year that we use the 'self feeding' tubs.  The rest of the time, we give 'em cake...

Ooopps!  I did not mean to vere off course.  There are some rates for ya'.  I hope it helps.  I guess it might also help to know that our milo generally yields about 3500-4000 lbs/ac.   This year, the milo looks like it could go over 5k#/ac. pretty easy.

Oh, one more thing..my grandfather has always told me that we WERE NOT going to graze the stalk fields until after the first freeze...same goes for a [red top] cane hay field, too.  And finally, we always put out bloat blocks w/ poloxalene.  And yeah, we have lost one or two cows due to bloat in the last 6-8 yrs.

Regards,

TXFarmer.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)