AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RR canola and neighbours--GRRRRR!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 9/28/2007 14:11 (#211237)
Subject: RR canola and neighbours--GRRRRR!!

Galahad, Alberta
I've got some neighbours who seed RR canola. This harvest, they were hauling it home in tandem trucks, heaped right up, with no tarps(that's a whole story in itself!) and spreading the canola seed into the ditches and fields along the road. First of all, as I have never read a monsanto TUA, is there any rules in it about spreading a seed like RR canola around?? Anything resistant to glyphosate is a weed in my books. For myself practicing no-till, glyphosate is my most important tool for weed control. I don't feel like having to add 2,4-D to my spray mix. One of the members of this farm is actually a county councilor, and some subtle comments about their trucks are just water off a duck's back.
A little side note here: A few years ago, just after RR canola was getting going, my brother and a neighbour ( neither of whom had ever grown RR canola) chem fallowed a couple fields. Oddly enough, there were these nice canola plants growing along the roads that glyphosate didn't kill. They contacted monsanto and told them that they were going to let the plants mature, then hand-pick the plants, get the seed, and multiply it to get their own seed stock. Big M said "you can't do that!" My brother said "the canola just appeared in my field, it's mine, and I'll do what I want with it." Later that week a van load of "rent-a-drones" showed up and hand picked all the plants into big garbage bags! It was quite humorous to watch. They had no intention of growing the RR seed, just wanted to get monsanto's panties in a knot!
Something needs to be done about our nieghbours, just not sure what. I want to get some info about the TUA before I proceed. Any input is appreciated
Rosco
PS, They are actually really good people, who will help a guy out in a second if you needed it, just that their whole operation is held together with duct tape and baling wire, which leads to problems like no tarps on trucks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)