AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of an old barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 9/27/2007 21:59 (#210885 - in reply to #210782)
Subject: RE: Value of an old barn

You would probably do the best $ wise to find someone that wanted it complete. If it's in good solid condition and reasonable square I would think you could pretty well name your price. If you allow someone else to dismantle I would require 2 things. 1) proof of insurance and release of any liability to you while removing. 2) I would also require some sort of down payment or deposit equal to what it would cost you to clean up the mess if they fail to complete the job and some sort of timetable for complete removal. Way too many times someone is interested in something like this but it's way more project than they anticipate. They either take a few choice pieces and leave the mess for you to clean up or it drags on for months and months and ties up your future plans.

Barring finding a buyer for the complete barn. Do some inquiring around there are quite a few now buying up old barn timbers. They are using them for making high dollar flooring and plank paneling because it is old growth timber.

I had a barn torn down earlier this year. We snagged a few of the choicest beams out kind of as an after thought in hopes of selling the timbers. Turns out the small pile we saved pretty much paid for tearing the whole thing down and cleaning up the site.  Of course a lot depends on the types of wood and age and condition of the beams. Lots of nails in them make them worth less too.

Edited by Von WC Ohio 9/27/2007 22:08

(P3080038 (Medium).JPG)

(P3080042 (Medium).JPG)

(P3090116 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P3080038 (Medium).JPG (94KB - 378 downloads)
Attachments P3080042 (Medium).JPG (90KB - 379 downloads)
Attachments P3090116 (Medium).JPG (83KB - 370 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)