AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

monsanto
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Husker02
Posted 9/29/2007 10:43 (#211615 - in reply to #211287)
Subject: RE: monsanto

SE Nebraska
Monsanto seems to offer a very high level of service to back their product. There has to be a value to that service and a way to pay for that service.

I really don't think you're offering up a fair comparison. You can't compare bio-tech to standard consumer tech. There seems to me a lot of difference between purchasing traited seed and buying a new HD plasma TV. Two totally different worlds. Your talking about technology that is obsolete before its shipped to the store. Consumer tech companies can offer something that is better a lot quicker, and there is always a consumer that wants the highest quality product as soon as its out, and they have no problem paying a high premium.

Traited seed is not just about what company can make components faster and more economical, your talking about altering a plants DNA. There is a lot more R&D behind it. It is also a lot harder to bring a trait to the market then standard consumer tech. Look at other bio-based tech, the last thing I've seen is that it isn't getting any cheaper to the consumer for health care, another industry that uses bio-tech.

You must be a wiki fan, just like me. Here's another wiki explaining biotechnology, you'll see there's a big difference between that and consumer tech: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio-technology

There are also other companies, DOW, BASF, Syngenta, DuPont to name a few, that are also working on bio-tech for agriculture. Monsanto was a bio-tech player before others where, and M traits are more widely excepted before theirs where. They had to offer their bio-tech at a reduced price to gain exceptenence quickly.

Let me ask you this, in this world of high inputs and tight margins, would you readily give up using bio-tech in your operation?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)