AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Future of agriculture in the South?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boyd
Posted 9/28/2007 09:37 (#211115 - in reply to #210777)
Subject: Re: Future of agriculture in the South?

Sorry I wasn't clear on my location. I am down at the southern tip of Texas. The lower Rio Grande Valley. In this area the major crops are sugar cane, cotton, milo (sorghum to some folks), corn and there still is a profitable vegetable industry here (cabbage, onions, peppers and etc.). Citrus was at one time a major player, now minor. There is both dryland and irrigated here. But many acres of irrigated land has been lost to housing over the last 40 years. That's one reason for the decline of citrus production. To the north of the crop land areas are many ranches including the famous King Ranch. Cattle industry is growing and I have seen some dryland crop land put in grass the last 20 years. Tifton 85 is a great grass for us in this area.

Our area is a major gathering point for Mexicans coming across illegally. Therefore lots of cheap stoop type labor is available. But they try to go north as soon as possible because the money is better. They love to go to the big cities and work in construction and other industrial jobs because of pay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)