AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Future of agriculture in the South?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 9/27/2007 11:01 (#210618 - in reply to #210610)
Subject: Re: Future of agriculture in the South?

Mississippi

I understand the part about concrete. I live in Rankin County, Mississippi, which Progressive Farmer listed as one of the 10 best rural counties to live (2 years ago). Much of the county is still rural and has a fair amount of farm land left. But when I moved here 21 years ago, they were growing cotton and soybeans where the new mall is now. For years, developers couldn't push down pine trees fast enough in the areas near Jackson. That's slowing down with the housing bubble bursting. I use to tell people that my subdivision was at the first traffic light as you come into the Jackson metro area (from Starkville). Now, it's the fourth light.

There are all kinds of side effects to suburban/urban growth. Land prices go way past the point of land being affordable for farming. You also get a weather effect, I'm told, in places like Houston because of the way the heat rises above the city in the summer and pulls moisture up high enough that in condenses and falls as rain. The idea makes since, considering some of the times this year when Houston and nearby areas flooded.

New suburbs mean people who know nothing about ag. Livestock people have had to contend with that. When this county still had cotton and defoliants still smelled, there were people in my neighborhood who asked me if those chemicals could be banned. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)