AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post Herbicide for Corn???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tnfarmer
Posted 5/3/2012 22:09 (#2367615)
Subject: Post Herbicide for Corn???

tennessee
I put down 5 oz. of Corvus + 1 qt. of Atrazine pre-emerge on conventional corn. Field's are completely clean right now, corn is small maybe 3 leaves. What would be the best thing to spray post (if I have to) when corn is maybe knee high. Main weeds are morningglory, cocklebur, pigweed, some giant rag's and some grass but not much roundup has about taken care of alot of the grasses. I want to let corn get as big as I can before spraying to take advantage of canopy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
flatlick farmer
Posted 5/3/2012 22:30 (#2367661 - in reply to #2367615)
Subject: Re: Post Herbicide for Corn???

West Kentucky
You have a lot of options as far as spray, but I wouldn't let the corn get too big before spraying. I prefer to spray no later the v5 with the majority being v4. Too many things happening around v6 for me to want to throw the corn another curveball.
Tnfarmer
Posted 5/3/2012 22:41 (#2367686 - in reply to #2367661)

tennessee
What if there is nothing out there at that stage? Should I go ahead and spray something anyway to get the residual for later on? I hate to spray bare ground...........could I get by without a poat if it's clean at maybe 12" corn? Lots of questions........
Clay SEIA
Posted 5/3/2012 23:03 (#2367745 - in reply to #2367686)

That's a problem with Corvus, if it is going to break it will be late enough you may have to scramble. IF you are clean at 12 inch corn and have a good consistent stand with growing conditions that are favorable for it to canopy quickly, I'd just let it go and not worry about any small weeds that come later. If your stand sucks, or it's cold and wet and stunted, or you think there will be waterhemp come through strong enough to go to seed, then you have a different situation. Pretty expensive program if you already spent the $ for Corvus and want to lay another residual down for weeds that don't exist yet.
flatlick farmer
Posted 5/3/2012 23:11 (#2367765 - in reply to #2367686)

West Kentucky
I guess you could leave out the r-up and just put down any additional residuals that you had intended if it would make you more comfortable. How many collars does your corn have now? We have quite a bit that will be v6 and still only be around 12" tall.
semosandfarmer
Posted 5/3/2012 23:44 (#2367816 - in reply to #2367615)

East Prairie, MO
If it was me and I thought anything was coming through I'd use Impact, with round up in it for the grass. Impact is labeled way farther than you'd ever want to go, 45 days prior to harvest I think? Works great, cost about $8/acre and is low volume, .5 oz/acre. We started using it as one of the only options when using Counter but I continue to use it even though I no longer use Counter because I like it so much.
coyotehunter
Posted 5/3/2012 23:57 (#2367838 - in reply to #2367816)

i would use halex gt, would hammer whats there and give you excellent residual.

second choice would be status, atz, and if you have grass glyph.
Tnfarmer
Posted 5/4/2012 07:45 (#2368007 - in reply to #2367838)

tennessee
This is Conventional corn, can't use anything with ru in it like Halex gt. Impact might just be the ticket, gonna watch it close and see what comes through in next couple of weeks.
DSJRC2008
Posted 5/4/2012 07:59 (#2368021 - in reply to #2367615)

Laudis would be an option. there may be some re-spray dollars available at the rate of Corvus you ran. Laudis is another Bayer product.
farmboy78
Posted 5/4/2012 08:18 (#2368051 - in reply to #2367615)

ec illinois champaign
hi ,we grew conventional corn for many years,went to a local evevator then shipped down for jack daniels,we like and still use guardsman max,laid down after its planted,,can be sprayed up to 12 inch corn,but i prefer to get it on as soon as its planted,,atleast i have a window if it comes up and cant get sprayed right away,we run 2 1/2 pint,,this gives you about 1 pound of atrazine,,then on or 2nd pass at about 10-12 inch corn we would come back with laudis and atrazine,,think it was a pint of atrazine,,the laudis was 3 oz,,on laudis,every once gives you 1 week of residual,,so 3 oz =3 weeks,,our corn was cleaner than the roundup corn,,alot of food grade corn around me,,some will use impact on the 2nd pass,,i prefer laudis,,kills canadian thistle and shattercne,,its good stuff,,hope this helps,,
Ed Winkle
Posted 5/4/2012 12:19 (#2368356 - in reply to #2367615)

Martinsville, Ohio
I don't like Impact, too hard on my corn and beans following, like Laudis better for weed control, maybe something with it for the morning glory and pigweed. Capreno and Atrazine are best on grass in corn I have seen but not the best on the others you mention.

Ed
mike216
Posted 5/4/2012 13:25 (#2368419 - in reply to #2368356)

Maryland

Can you use Laudis where Counter was applied with planter?

Ed Winkle
Posted 5/4/2012 18:07 (#2368705 - in reply to #2368419)

Martinsville, Ohio
They claim to not have a problem but you may want to use Status instead.

http://www.agphd.com/blog/ag-phd-newsletter/april-2012/2012/04/02/h...

Ed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)