AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

article about shortage of farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rollig
Posted 4/15/2012 21:15 (#2338074 - in reply to #2337882)
Subject: RE: article about shortage of farmers

SCMN

alnciowa - 4/16/2012 18:47 I do think there is a shortage of qualified farmers. So many of our "next generation" are just semi drivers and hog house watchers for their daddies and the kids only vision is just waiting for the weekend to party. We have an endless group of these grease balls in our area and they will probably be ok because of their grandpa's and great grandpa's. Maybe they will grow up and learn a little by the time daddy dies. Takes more than a tractor and semi driver to be a farmer today. Go out and get an education and some management experience and then come back.

Right on!  I know way too many young guys who are like that.  They wear white tennis shoes and hats that are still white and probably go home as clean as they were when they woke up that morning.  They've never worked their ass off into the midnight hours fixing a machine with bloody nuckles and had to make touch decisions(or any decisions for that matter) on whether to weld something or go on an early morning parts run.  Hell, they probably can't weld anyway.  I have city cousins like that who had everything given to them and they are all useless as tits on a boar now.  I am thankful every day for growing up the way I did and being a little harder because of it. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)