AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do about pheasants eating our corn????!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 6/4/2006 23:59 (#17143)
Subject: What to do about pheasants eating our corn????!!!!

NE SD
Holy moly do we have a lot of corn missing due to those damn pheasants. Not just a little bit either, like 3-4 acres along anything that is grass- pasture, CRP, or even the first 12 rows along highway ditches. They go right down the row, pulling the corn out. Eat the kernel..........bastards. I would go take some pictures of the damage, but it's dark. Four acres out of a quarter section.................gone..........input costs are still there, but all the return is gone. That's a pretty good hit to margins right there. Is there anything we can do besides illegally shooting them? I thought I heard someone once say that they mist vinegar on the seed like liquid innoculant as it's going into the planter. Pheasants don't like the taste they say.........wonder if it works.

Yet there are guys here who continually release pheasants grown on farms into the wild, and hunters who leave money to do so...................just what we need, more of those damn things. Hunting has become so commercialized I don't even enjoy it or all the overpayed out-of-state pricks that come with it anymore. I'd rather see the pheasant populations drop down to practically nothing. I guess maybe we need to start mowing the non-haying ditches in early June?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)