AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems starting bales with round baler, Help please!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 6/5/2006 05:57 (#17178 - in reply to #17133)
Subject: RE: Why chain balers suck!

Brazilton KS

Rich, I wouldn't want a chain baler compared to a modern belt baler, but give me a choice between the first 850 NewHolland built and any 5500 Hesston and I wouldn't have much trouble deciding...let the NewHolland be an 855 and I'd take it over some later model belt balers if it was in better condition.  I think we broke three or four chains in the 15 years or so that we ran our 852, and I doubt any of those occured when the chains were not worn beyond 100%.   First year with the 664 seemed like if my brother wasn't off the baler tractor pulling something out of the windrow for fear of tearing up a belt, then I was off the rake doing the same thing.....Pretty much just drove that old 852, if it would go through the pickup it would be in the bale....we used to bale some rought stuff and it could be kinda comical what you would find in the bale feeder.

The first round baler we used was a 5500 and our experience wasn't much different then K-State's.....spent lots of time trying to get belts untangled and back where they belonged, or unplugging and dumping the wad out to try again when it wouldn't start a bale.   The modern belts don't seem to have so much trouble anymore. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)