AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD Starfire iTC NMEA Output Problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

brahe
Posted 9/12/2007 22:47 (#202860)
Subject: JD Starfire iTC NMEA Output Problem

NC IA
I have a JD Starfire iTC Receiver connected to an Ag Leader Insight in a 9660 STS Combine. Using what the customer already had purchased - always makes life interesting.

I'm using the PF80388 "Laptop to Starfire" Cable. I have an Ag Leader Null Modem installed between the 9 Pin GPS Connection on the Insight harness and the 9 Pin Serial Output of the PF80388 cable. The PF80388 cable has a Cigarette Lighter for power - it's powered with an adapter from the JD Power Strip in the cab.

I am not getting NMEA output to the Insight.

When the Starfire is first turned on, the Insight NMEA Diagnostic shows "unknown" with some other computer code a couple times. It then resumes checking for a receiver as if nothing is connected.

I have checked the cabling by installing an Original Starfire receiver on this combine and it works fine - DGPS shows up on the Insight screen.

I have the proper baud rate and NMEA messages turned on in the Starfire iTC - I've verified this by connecting the Starfire iTC to and Original Greenstar Display. I've tried 19200 and 4800 with no luck. I am not sure of output rate - it may be set at 5Hz in which case 4800 baud would not carry the messages. Insight should be able to handle both.

Coincidentally, when I hook up the Original Greenstar Display, Processor, and Starfire iTC with a Mobile Harness and connect this PF80388 harness as well, NMEA data streams across to the Insight just fine.

It's like the Starfire iTC NEEDS to have the Original Greenstar there to output the data.............

I do not think the Starfire iTC has the latest software - it may be a year old or more - will update software and check things out.

I somewhat recall seeing other posts on this site about problems with NMEA output out of Starfire iTC receivers............but maybe I'm making that up.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Email is in my profile.

Thank you.

Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)