AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Burndown Followup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Clay-All-Over
Posted 6/4/2006 08:14 (#16863)
Subject: Burndown Followup

Eastern Ontario

Well, I said I was going to post some pictures of my burndown. Glyphosate vs. Gramoxone in a field where soybeans have come out of the ground and the stem is showing.

For the Glyphosate:

Found a spot where the beans were up, took a picture and then sprayed at a rate of 40 oz./a. It was raining for about a week before the application. Stayed dry after application and baked the ground. Beans were having a tough time trying to go through the crust. The beans in the picture were right in the crust layer and they stayed there until we got a little sprinkle and softened the crust a little bit. Still waiting for more rain to get the rest of the beans out. Anyway, the beans under the crust faired better than the ones in the crust. In my opinion, the glyphosate did not hurt the beans, it was more the crusting problem than anything. As you can see in the picture the beans did make it through eventually and the rest of the field doesn't look that bad. I actually had quite a few beans that broke their own neck trying to go through the crust. If I was in the same situation again I would spray the glyphosate again.

For the Gramoxone:

Picture was taken in a different field with lighter soil which didn't bake to a crust. As you can see in the picture, some beans were actually pushed out of the ground already before I sprayed with Gramoxone. ( 35 oz./a ). Well, it didn't seem to bother the beans at all, they were perfectly healthy and all the weeds were smoked. Definately the safer way to go, but 4 times as expensive.

Conclusion:

I think that at the 'hook stage' spraying the beans with Glyphosate or Gramoxone should not be a problem if absolutely necessary.

Edited by Clay-All-Over 6/4/2006 08:26

(tobesorted 100.jpg)

(tobesorted 071.jpg)

(tobesorted 082 (420 x 315).jpg)

(tobesorted 087 (420 x 315).jpg)

(cracked neck (576 x 522).jpg)

(stuck bean (432 x 328).jpg)

(tobesorted 101.jpg)

(tobesorted 072.jpg)

(tobesorted 073.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tobesorted 100.jpg (71KB - 926 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 071.jpg (96KB - 974 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 082 (420 x 315).jpg (62KB - 937 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 087 (420 x 315).jpg (58KB - 954 downloads)
Attachments cracked neck (576 x 522).jpg (80KB - 947 downloads)
Attachments stuck bean (432 x 328).jpg (42KB - 910 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 101.jpg (84KB - 937 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 072.jpg (95KB - 933 downloads)
Attachments tobesorted 073.jpg (74KB - 929 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)