AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertilizing soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 3/4/2012 21:47 (#2268158 - in reply to #2267443)
Subject: Re: fertilizing soybeans

SE IA
Foliar,

You seem to be doing quite a bit of fertilizer applications, the one thing I would probably disagree with your overall assessment was your potassium fertility. It appears that you are putting on somewhere around 50 units of K depending on how much is in the KTS. If you are shooting for 100 bushel soybeans, then you are going to need somewhere around 150 units of K. (300# of 0-0-50 or 250# 0-0-60). How many units of commercial plant food foliar and soil applied are you putting on each acre? Soil applied N-P-K-S-Zn-Ca? Foliar applied N-P-K-S-Zn-Ca? Those are my questions for you.

I personally would like to play around with more rates of pel-lime just to see if there is a response to the calcium in our calcerious soils.

Sometimes with soybeans I think it helps to be more lucky than good as soil-life pointed out. I have seen farmers with some pretty poor P/K levels pull some outstanding yields. I am sure this has to do with their deeper taproot that allows them to mine subsurface P/K better than a grass crop like corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)