AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric motors CW/ CCW rotation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 3/3/2012 17:29 (#2265418)
Subject: Electric motors CW/ CCW rotation

Is there a standard for CW or CCW rotation? I noticed that some motors I have purchased indicate CW facing shaft. Trying to use that rule (facing shaft) for other motors does not seem to apply. Maybe I am reading the schematic wrong, but I don't think so.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaKettle
Posted 3/3/2012 17:40 (#2265434 - in reply to #2265418)
Subject: RE: Electric motors CW/ CCW rotation

Lenawee Co Michigan
Most motors will turn either direction. A motor is stupid; it sits and hums until something gives it a push one way or t'other.

You wire a single phase motor to give it a start cw or ccw by changing a couple wires under the plate which makes the starter windings give an initial push.

I have only one motor on the farm that is not reversable and it must be 60 years old.
JohnW
Posted 3/3/2012 17:55 (#2265453 - in reply to #2265418)

NW Washington
As mentioned, they will turn either direction. Here are some electric motor basics. http://sawdustmaking.com/ELECTRIC%20MOTORS/electricmotors.html
E718
Posted 3/3/2012 18:06 (#2265480 - in reply to #2265418)
Subject: Re: Electric motors CW/ CCW rotation

Sac & Story county IA
Standard rotation, to me, is CW facing shaft.
If it is going to wreck something by turning backwards, verify before hooking up load.
Jon S
Posted 3/3/2012 18:08 (#2265484 - in reply to #2265434)

I am aware that they turn either direction. I need the motors to be CCW facing the shaft so I wire them as such per the schematic on the motor.

My gripe is that I have GSI and Marathon motors on my shelf for feed supply augers and they both seem to have a different definition of what CW and CCW is...according to the schematic.

I may be imagining all of this because I handle so many different types of motors that it can be confusing keeping up. There are at least 60 motors here (if I counted correctly)...and most of them seem to be junk because I change them out all too frequently.

Jon S
Posted 3/3/2012 18:14 (#2265494 - in reply to #2265453)

Take from your link: "Note: Some manufactures may have a different method of determining shaft rotation but will usually make a note of it."

I think that I found the problem...no standard and some don't seem to see the need to note it.

Why? Would be my question.

Ed Boysun
Posted 3/3/2012 18:17 (#2265504 - in reply to #2265453)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

It depends on the motor, as to how or whether you can electrically reverse it. Split phase and capacitor start can usually be reversed by changing wires to the start windings. Some don't have the wires accessable so that's out. Some of those motors may be able to made run the other way by removing the end caps and rotor and putting the output shaft on the other end of the case. Not all cases allow this though. Repulsion start / induction run morors are reversed by moving the starter brush mounting plate to one of the marks. 3-phase motors, on the other hand are all reversible. Simply swap any two of the three leads to change rotation. The other thing about a 3-phase motor is you can always count on it to run the wrong way when you first hook it up ;-)

DeereFarmer
Posted 3/3/2012 18:29 (#2265527 - in reply to #2265418)

Central Iowa
All of the motors that I have around--at least the ones with nameplates that can still be read--say standard rotation is CCW when standing behind the non-shaft end. Obviously, this would be the same as CW rotation when facing the shaft, Some engineer must write the nameplates.
Jon Hagen
Posted 3/3/2012 19:19 (#2265611 - in reply to #2265527)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Many are marked OSE, (opposite shaft end)
others marked SE, (shaft end.)

Edited by Jon Hagen 3/3/2012 19:24
tumbleweed
Posted 3/3/2012 20:02 (#2265694 - in reply to #2265418)
Subject: Today's youngsters have no idea what CW/CCW means

Princeton, Indiana
I have a friend who teaches diesel classes at a tech school and he was talking about shaft rotation and referred to it a clockwise/counterclockwise and several students had no idea what he was talking about. He tried to explain how the hands move on a clock and they were completely clueless. They grew up on cell phones and digital clocks and it was a new concept for them. He couldn't believe it.
fuelfarmer
Posted 3/3/2012 20:27 (#2265744 - in reply to #2265418)

Virginia

If you find a "gift" like this in your feed system it will make a motor stop turning.

Photobucket

PaKettle
Posted 3/3/2012 20:48 (#2265785 - in reply to #2265484)

Lenawee Co Michigan
I've never planned ahead when installing a motor. I just wire them up and jog them for a second to see which way they want to turn. If it's the wrong direction then the wiring is changed.

My luck has been that they run the right direction darn near 50% of the time.
tumbleweed
Posted 3/3/2012 20:51 (#2265792 - in reply to #2265785)

Princeton, Indiana
You are doing great! I think 80% of the time when I drop the toast it lands butter side down.
jdflyer
Posted 3/3/2012 21:20 (#2265861 - in reply to #2265418)

Centralia, MO
It seems to me like the standard direction that motors are set to turn when new is almost always backwards for augers and fans. I automatically reverse them when I wire them up the first time.
Kelly
Posted 3/4/2012 08:34 (#2266404 - in reply to #2265418)

NC KS
Funny that you should post this. I was wiring a fan motor yesterday. No clue on motor label as to how they determined shaft rotation. I assumed that it was by looking at shaft. Wrong assumption, but I was smart enough to leave cover off of motor to change 2 wires.
There should be a universal standard like on vehicles-right and left is understood to mean as you sit in seat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)