AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Test results with manure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/2/2006 13:39 (#16539)
Subject: Soil Test results with manure

We started apply finishing manure to a couple of fields 3 years ago and have noticed significant increases in K and to a lessor extent P even though the manure analysis and the amount I'm applying should result in lower numbers. It's applied every other year. The local soil test lab thinks the increase is due to the nutrients in manure being in the organic form and the subsequent microbiobial activity brings more nutrients into play. Has anyone else had these type of results? The field started with good pH, P and K levels, so I purposely stayed conservative on the manure to see what the response would be (I guess I was a little skeptical of the manure analysis).

What's not as good is that yields have not been as good with manure and I'm wondering if I should plan on adding more N (even if the N from manure should be sufficient - manure N + beans = 180). There are a number of opinions on manure/commercial fertilizer management practices and I'm wonder what seems to be the normal practice with long term manure usage in high yielding soils?

I'd like to hear your thoughts,

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)