AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone familiar with "Higher Power" hydro swing doors from MI?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/19/2012 06:32 (#2237590)
Subject: Anyone familiar with "Higher Power" hydro swing doors from MI?

Chebanse, IL.....

They're out of Benton Harbor MI. Their door has a "cam action" roller at the top that enables the cylinders to constantly push UP, vs out as in most hydro doors we've seen. This (per their statements) enables them to open/close a 40'+ door in less than 45 seconds with a 3 hp pump. So, does anyone have one...or know of one?

They've got a pretty good interactive website w/videos.

http://www.hpdoors.com/

Top of the page Bottom of the page
John..neAR
Posted 2/19/2012 08:14 (#2237650 - in reply to #2237590)
Subject: RE: Anyone familiar with "Higher Power" hydro swing doors from MI?

Caraway, AR

I like the engineering, however it looks like it will lose some opening height......about the width of the door + operating clearance, about 6".

In my situation I needed all the height I could get.

Still a great idea.

John

wildcat1000
Posted 2/19/2012 08:25 (#2237665 - in reply to #2237590)
Subject: Re: Anyone familiar with "Higher Power" hydro swing doors from MI?

C IL
I have watched the video several times. IMHO, a great idea, but there has to be tremendous "crunch" at the top where the rollers are located. Time will tell if the idea is proven. Seems like the other hydraulic doors are more proven.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/19/2012 09:07 (#2237712 - in reply to #2237665)

Chebanse, IL.....

wildcat1000

You could be right re. the "crunch". However, the size of their cylinders are miniscule compared to others vs the "time-to-open" factor. As you see in the video, the HigherPower door also uses a mechanical latch vs the more often used check valve to keep the door sealed. I asked about the roller assy on the tracks at the top. They projected NO replacement necessary in the life of the door. Of course, that remains to be seen. Again, I'm not saying their method is right or wrong....it just seems OK to me at this point. I'm not sure of exact loss of opening size at this point. I think the other hydro doors lose 2- 6" depending on the location of the hinges & your door insulation specs.

One door company "de-emphasizes" the ability to install walk-in doors or viewing windows. I'm not saying they will not authorize or provide them, they just don't seem to encourage their use. HigherPower folks seemed to welcome all the door/window installs you want. They'll do the framing and sell you the peripheals, or let you supply your own.

I'll get more info this coming week.

TxPope
Posted 2/19/2012 09:07 (#2237714 - in reply to #2237665)

Abilene, Texas
There is a hanger door in Mankato Mn. that opens like or similar to that. I remember the guys there telling me it had been somewhat troublesome. I will call them today and ask if it is the same manufacturer and if anybody remembers ( they are in a different hanger now) what the issues were.
jamiebenz
Posted 2/19/2012 09:39 (#2237759 - in reply to #2237590)

South Central Kansas
Ihope they work as I ordered two30x18s from them this week. I have a neighbor who has one a really likes it,
HFR
Posted 2/19/2012 10:02 (#2237802 - in reply to #2237712)

Central Minnesota

Ron,here is a link to pictures of my HP door and some comments I made about it. Not sure what is meant by the "crunch" and I don't believe the cylinders are miniscule.  The taller doors will take longer to open then a shorter door because of bigger cylinders so more   oil needs to be pumped. You will lose exactly 6 inches of headroom and also need about I think 16 inches of room above header for the first 8 feet inside of building for the part of door that swings inside of building but do not need to reinforce headers, posts or end wall. I filled the 2 posts holes next to door with concrete to fasten I-beam to. No idea on longevity but seems to be put together quite well to me. I think they have upgraded the pump and controls since mine was put in. Any more questions send me a mail. Jerry

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/20/2012 07:59 (#2239843 - in reply to #2237802)

Chebanse, IL.....

Jerry

Thanks very much for the reply & link & photos.

When I said the cylinders were miniscule, I meant they seemed smaller in diameter in comparison to the normal doors. Or, was that just because I was looking at the "display" door? You mentioned in your original post that you were questioning the up-down time. The folks @ the NFMS said they guaranteed a 45 second or LESS time on a 40 or 50x19 door. Do you disagree with that? Have you changed your pump/cylinders since the original install?

I'll be emailing you also. Thanks for the invitation.

Ron

jps51248
Posted 2/20/2012 11:08 (#2240133 - in reply to #2237590)

nw Iowa
The Hi Fold door,bi-fold out of River Falls,Wisc. does not lose any head room. I have a 16" header and lost no head room. Works good, has auto locks!! jps
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)