AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 2/11/2012 11:27 (#2220790)
Subject: Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Driving back from the Calmer corn clinic thursday, I decided tp take the Way Less Traveled. South to Galesburg, then west on 34.

As I neared Ottumwa I wondered about the big house that Roseanne Barr and Tom Arnold started to build. I believe somewhere near Eldon.
As things fell apart with Roseanne and Tom, work stopped on the house. Pretty sure it was not completed.

Questions:
Was is the status of the house? Is it still just sitting there uncompleted?
Or has somebody purchased it and keep the building going?
Or torn down?

And location. I would like for someone to locate the house on Google Earth and post a link.
Or the Lat and Long of the house.
Or township name and section number.
Or just general directions to find it on Google Earth.

Pic is from the Calmer clinic.

(DSC01320.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01320.jpg (53KB - 779 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 2/11/2012 13:20 (#2220987 - in reply to #2220790)
Subject: RE: Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

NW Washington
Check Google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldon,_Iowa

Roseanne now lives in Hawaii on her "nut farm" growing macadamia nuts.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 2/11/2012 13:25 (#2220994 - in reply to #2220790)
Subject: RE: Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

From what I have been able to find the house was never finished, maybe only partially framed.  Tom donated the property to a local community college who used it for some horticulture classes and after a few years I think the college tried selling the property but I don't know if it sold or not.  We farm within a mile or so of the property and there is an old sign along the road that say's "Property of Indian Hills Community College".  I have never driven around to see if what's left of the house is visable from the road, on Google maps I don't see what looks like a partial building site in the area but it's possible the college demolished the house. 

If you go straight south of Batavia on Ash avenue I am pretty sure their property is on the west side of Ash between 260th and 270th avenue and depending on the news reports it was 1,300 or 1,600 acres.  My dad was at the auction where somebody who was working for them bought one of the farms and the guy just stood over to the side holding his thumb up until the bidding stopped. 

Robert W Greif
Posted 2/11/2012 15:01 (#2221164 - in reply to #2220790)
Subject: Found!! - Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

Pretty sure this is it.

Top pic shows what looks like One Big House that the builder ran out of money on.

Using the Google deal to measure I come up with about 100' by 60' not counting the round bump outs at the corners.
Counting the round deals about 130' by 80'

Looks like a long ways before it is weather tight for winter.

The date on the Google pic is July of 2011. So the stories of it being torn down are stories.

Second pic is the area. South of Batavia Iowa
Ash is the north south road with the Black Arrow

East west roads are 260 north and 270 south.

House is in Wapello County, but Ash is in Jefferson County. County line is the blue or green line at the base of the Red Arrow.

The Red Arrow points to the house.

There is an old railroad right of way to the east.

It is less than two miles east of the town of Eldon.
Eldon is the location of the house in the background of American Gothic.

Thanks Cliff

Edited by Bobby Greif 2/11/2012 15:09

(R&T#1.jpg)

(R&T#2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments R&T#1.jpg (46KB - 1566 downloads)
Attachments R&T#2.jpg (38KB - 959 downloads)
Clay SEIA
Posted 2/11/2012 15:55 (#2221249 - in reply to #2221164)
Subject: RE: Found!! - Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

That's it. You aren't missing much by not going to see it. I was almost surprised by the date on that imagery that we weren't cutting wheat on the farm that little horseshoe looking bottom at the end of Birch Ave is on the edge of. But then I found where our header was still sitting on the trailer and we hadn't gotten there yet. Wow can you ever waste a lot of time on Google Earth.

(flexhead (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments flexhead (Small).jpg (58KB - 1073 downloads)
iseedit
Posted 2/11/2012 16:28 (#2221309 - in reply to #2221164)
Subject: RE: Found!! - Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

central - east central Minnesota -
Wow Bobby, that's pretty darned good! Seems like such a waste ( the construction). Thanks for shareing!
srsu99
Posted 2/12/2012 00:07 (#2222190 - in reply to #2220790)
Subject: Re: Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

Central / West Texas
Is that just the sub floor/ peir and beam construction with some decking, or am I looking at trusses, ceiling joists?
Robert W Greif
Posted 2/12/2012 07:45 (#2222366 - in reply to #2222190)
Subject: Re: Roseanne Barr & Tom Arnold House

Pretty sure there was a picture or more in the Des Moines paper of the house being built. And I think it was roofed.

And looking at the Google image, I agree that what we are seeing is a basement and the ground floor, with a good share of the flooring removed.

So I am now thinking that it has been torn down some. Maye the area school that now owns it was able to use the materal for other projects.

Before I made the posting asking for help locating the house, I had done a bunch of looking on Google for it.
Figured Roseanne and Tom would want a river view, also alot of trees, as opposed to corn fields.

So I was looking in the Des Moines River valley from Ottumwa southeast, mostly around Eldon.

And I came pretty close to finding it. In the picture the area of the black arrow caught my eye. Figured it might be the now bulldozed site of the house.
But after zooming I and getting a better idea of how big the area was, I decide it was not.

I was pretty close. The house is at the red arrow.

Second picture, American Gothic House.
Nearby Eldon Iowa is the site of the house in the background of the famous Grant Wood painting, American Gothic.
Wood saw the house and made a quick drawing of it. The painting was done at Wood's home.
His dentist is the man in the picture, and Wood's sister Nan Wood is the lady. He did have someone go to Eldon and take a photo of the house for a guide.
Wood never was in Eldon more than the one time.
Eastern part of Eldon. There is a visitors center and parking on the other side of the street.

Edited by Bobby Greif 2/12/2012 07:58

(R&T#3.jpg)

(800px-2007-06-04-Gothic_House.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments R&T#3.jpg (37KB - 1007 downloads)
Attachments 800px-2007-06-04-Gothic_House.jpg (94KB - 800 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)