AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

07 Kenworth t800 c15 wont start after changing batteries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bigaljack
Posted 2/10/2012 13:24 (#2218822)
Subject: 07 Kenworth t800 c15 wont start after changing batteries

Bartlett TX
She will spin over but won't hit. All we did was put in new batteries. It has auto shift and all fuses are good. Anyone else ever had a similar problem? 2 mechanics have looked at it with no luck. Guess I'm gonna pull the ecm to test it, but thought I would post it on here as a shot in the dark...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kagen
Posted 2/10/2012 13:45 (#2218863 - in reply to #2218822)
Subject: RE: 07 Kenworth t800 c15 wont start after changing batteries

Panhandle of Ne.
Since you put new batteries on it, wonder if by chance one of the crimped wire ends was either bumped or pulled on when changing batteries? I would start there. On my freightliner, there is a single I believe 10-12 gauge wire with a crimped on end that goes to the ecm. It came lose going down the road, just like turning the switch off. Would spin just fine but not fire. Replaced the end, started/ran just fine. Sometimes they will also get corroded and not make good contact where they are crimped. If you and the mechanics have checked all this, you might just take the + cable lose, let it set a while, reconnect it and try that. But, I have also heard of ecm's going out with little or no reason.
ChrisTN
Posted 2/10/2012 17:51 (#2219309 - in reply to #2218863)
Subject: Re: 07 Kenworth t800 c15 wont start after changing batteries

Ethridge, TN
Have had this same problem with ECM wires, also Frieghtliners here. Both the positive and ground for the ECM are in a separate harness, and feed from the battery connections. On the Freightliner, there is also a spot in the harness, where the 12v+ splits, and I've had that connection corrode, will also keep the truck from firing. Then, also had one that just up and acted like you shut it off, going down the road, that one ended up being the ECM died.
RPTI
Posted 2/11/2012 00:23 (#2220167 - in reply to #2219309)

Nebraska
Don't want to scare you but hears the story on my 04 W900. Cat said I needed to update software or my warranty would be void so I did, truck ran like crap so I talked my mechanic into putting old software back in but he told me if I ever changed batteries truck may not start. Couple years down the road I forgot what he told me and changed the batteries, truck would not start cuz it fried the computer when it lost power. Very expensive lesson.
Offroadnt
Posted 2/10/2012 14:26 (#2218949 - in reply to #2218822)

Southern Alberta Canada
Dropped a wire down behind the battery? Sometimes those little buggers will get away. Don't have the ECM wires reversed by any chance?
J/R
Posted 2/10/2012 17:46 (#2219294 - in reply to #2218949)

Broken wire same thing happened to me, mechanic found it right away said it was common with auto shift
jedeka
Posted 2/10/2012 21:02 (#2219751 - in reply to #2218822)

Boone, Iowa
I had to look at a guy's motorcoach a couple of years ago. It wouldn't start so I put new batteries in. Would not start with key but would if I jumped it at the starter. Put it in gear and it would die. Found out someone had tried to jump start it the night before and part of the system is 24 volt. He got the jumper cables hooked up wrong and blew out a fuse that controls the auto tranny. Swapped fuses and started right up.
joe4
Posted 2/10/2012 23:31 (#2220086 - in reply to #2218822)

Had that happen to me on the freight. When you turn key on does the "check engine lite come on"? Turned out I'd dropped a wire behind box when I put the new batteries in. Sometimes the simplest things get missed...
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)