AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you farm.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Land_Surfer
Posted 2/5/2012 17:24 (#2207812 - in reply to #2207709)
Subject: Re: Why do you farm.

I get so annoyed when I hear other farmers complain that farming isn't what it once was. It's better!!! Granted, it is more competitive,more attention has to be paid to policy and procedure, but that's with anything these days because we are smarter and know what to look for in order to hedge against downfall. Modern genetics have resulted in crop yields being 50-60% higher, on average, than they did 30 years ago. Our machinery (including precision farming technology) has become smarter and far more efficient and comfortable which allows us to be more productive with relatively lower operating costs so that we can be more competitive. Improved logistics and access to markets, as well as more effective marketing tools have advanced so much they allow us greater opportunity to market our commodities so that we can maximize our returns on investments.

As much as I like to see the fruits of my labor grow in the fields, business is business and the only way independent farmers will be able sustain themselves long-term is through improved efficiency, profitability and investing retained earning back in to their operations.

Efficiency, Profitability and Savings/Investing have always been the basic building blocks of business and prosperity, it's what allowed farming to be a lifestyle and it is what will continue to allow farming to be a lifestyle, as long as it is managed correctly. If you don't want to grow your operation's efficiency, productivity and profitability to compete in today's society, then your only companion will be stress and it will come with a price far greater than most are willing to accept.

Edited by Land_Surfer 2/5/2012 17:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)