AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall weaning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 8/26/2007 01:35 (#193317 - in reply to #193105)
Subject: Re: Fall weaning

Western Nebraska
It really depends on what you are planning on doing with your calves. Some questions that need answers before I can offer any semi-intelligent answer are: What will you do with your cows when the calves are weaned? How are you planning to market the calves? How old are the calves? Is there a particular reason why you delayed castration? It is hard to offer a general answer when there are so many specifics that go into answering the question you pose. About the only answer I can give you as far as the second shot is to follow the protocol for boosting vaccinations.

For example, we wean our calves right around the first of November. Why? Because we have sold our steers on the Vac-45 program through Superior Video. Our delivery date is Dec. 10-20 so they have to be weaned a minimum of 45 days to meet the qualifications of that program. Our calves would average about 6 months of age. The only thing I would worry about in regards to weaning weight is if it is indicating poor performance from your cows, either through genetics or a lack of milk. I certainly wouldn't focus on trying to get the 600 or 700 lb weaned calf.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)