AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sterling brake lights stuck on
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SamsDad
Posted 1/18/2012 17:07 (#2169886)
Subject: Sterling brake lights stuck on

Western EC Iowa

Brake lights on one of our trucks are stuck on.  I think it is a 2006, not sure on the model number.  Any ideas on what to look for?  Thanks, Ben

Top of the page Bottom of the page
growcorn
Posted 1/18/2012 17:08 (#2169888 - in reply to #2169886)
Subject: Re: Sterling brake lights stuck on

Ohio
Brake pedal gets stuff under it. Clean it out and oil it up.
mechanic bob
Posted 1/18/2012 17:34 (#2169932 - in reply to #2169888)

west tn
Brake padel switch
scott nelsen
Posted 1/18/2012 17:41 (#2169949 - in reply to #2169932)

Leeds, North Dakota
Jake handle partially on ? Scott.
illinidirtfarmer
Posted 1/18/2012 17:41 (#2169950 - in reply to #2169886)
Subject: RE: Sterling brake lights stuck on

WC IL
Is it air brakes? If so there is probably a pressure switch somewhere that turns them on, maybe on the firewall. It may have gone bad. if hydraulic, probably a switch on the pedal under dash.
schneidy71
Posted 1/18/2012 18:32 (#2170056 - in reply to #2169950)
Subject: RE: Sterling brake lights stuck on

German Valley, IL
Mine does this all the time especially when it gets cold. (2001 --9513) The plunger under brake pedal is stuck. Take brake pedal off. Pull out plunger should have a rubber boot around the base. May require a pliers to twist out. Buff plunger to get moisture and rust off. Lube it up good and replace.
Thud
Posted 1/18/2012 19:08 (#2170124 - in reply to #2170056)

Near-north Ontario, French River
Check and make sure your brake pedal moves freely, give the pivot pin a good soaking with penetrating oil and work it back and forth just to be sure. Next Look under the pedal, there should be a rubber boot type gizmo ( that's the technical term :-) ) , if this rubber boot is worn through or cut it will allow moisture,crud to build up on top the brake valve underneath the pedal. If there's moisture the valve could be sticking from the cold or it could be corroded enough that it won't move freely. Again if the rubber is worn through a real good dose of wd 40 will get rid of the moisture, then soak liberally with penetrating oil. A bad air switch in the dash will usually lead to lack of brake lights, not stuck on lights so I don't think its that. If you've got a trailer spike make sure its fully retracted. Do you have dash gauges for application pressures? If you gauges it really helps to diagnose what part of the brake circuit( tractor or trailer) is causing your problem.
bleedinred
Posted 1/18/2012 19:40 (#2170213 - in reply to #2170124)

E Washington
"A bad air switch in the dash will usually lead to lack of brake lights, not stuck on lights so I don't think its that."

Actually, that could go either way. I've had them stuck on and replaced the valve switch for the fix. If the treadle valve is returning home OK I'd look for the switch valve, pull a wire off, check lights then put back on. Valve is probably behind the dash. Oh wait, you said Sterling?? (Just kidding!)
Stacy
Posted 1/18/2012 20:16 (#2170320 - in reply to #2170213)

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
If the above ideas don't solve the problem, or maybe before you try some of the suggestions, make sure your trailer brake lever is off all the way.
SamsDad
Posted 1/18/2012 20:23 (#2170334 - in reply to #2170320)

Western EC Iowa

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Unhooked the trailer and put the truck in to thaw out, will take a look in the morning.  Ben

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)