AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did you sow your plaster last March?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 5/31/2006 20:33 (#16191 - in reply to #15927)
Subject: How it was in Eastern Bucks County, PA

Little River, TX
Close to the mentioned 1877 my Great Grandfather's family started him on a farm maybe 10 miles east of New Town, PA. He bought the land for $200 an acre expecting to pay the mortgage with $2 a bu wheat. Worked until the panic of the 1890's. Then the western home stead lands were in wheat production, there was a mechanical reaper and a powered threshing machine. By this time there were 12 kids, still a mortgage, and they could have wheat delivered to the farm for $0.25/ bu.
It was about this time every one of his family took to dairy farming. First making butter and feeding the hogs skim milk. Later there was a milk train to carry the milk to the city. Now urban sprawl put all those farms out of business.

My Grandfather filled me with tales of Chilean Nitrate. Bird Scat by the ton. I understand it was Sodium Nitrate. Before Chile's ran out they found out how to manufacture the same Sodium Nitrate.

Still they did not require much fertilizer. Production was much lower, they used clovers in with the wheat and barley, had some alfalfa, and some 100 bu corn. The cows grazed for most of their feed needs.

The family lost that farm during the depression. In the late 1920's my Grandfather had to sell to pay for my Grandmother's cancer treatments. As I said urban sprawl got the rest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)