AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on gear lube -- 90 EP vs 80W90 ESI
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dave Greif
Posted 5/31/2006 08:11 (#16085 - in reply to #15858)
Subject: RE: Question on gear lube -- 90 EP vs 80W90 ESI

Dave: From my experience with some overloaded gearboxes on equipment in a research lab, I would say you have a problem. To get as many hours out of the parts you have, wash out the gearboxes with kerosene or diesel fuel & a couple of minutes of idle speed running time on each flush. If you still get "metallic" oil, flush again or take it apart for cleaning. There might be a "pile" of metal in one of the corners or low places. Any metal particles in oil running through ball or roller bearings is going to cause pitting & spalling of the rollers & balls & drastically shorten their life. If you can get it clean without complete disassembly, fill it up with the heaviest bodied, highest GL rated synthetic oil you can get. This will "loan" you all the time you're going to get with theese parts. Before putting it back in service, make sure all the shafts have the proper amount of bearing "pre-load" or end-play. If any are looser than specified, you must readjust the pre-load / endplay or you are wasting your time going any further. Put a magnetic oil fill plugs or drain plugs in all of the holes in the gearbox to catch as much "junk" as you are able to. Check them daily to see if they are collecting anything & wipe them off. If one of the magnets all of a sudden starts to pick up a lot more junk, change & flush the box again or take it apart & fix it. When taking it apart, try to see if you can tell by the wear patterns on the tooth profiles whether or not the shaft bores in the gearbox are in alignment. Good Luck !!!!!!! I hope the parts are cheap & available !!!!!!!! Dave Greif
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)