AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on gear lube -- 90 EP vs 80W90 ESI
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 5/30/2006 06:38 (#15872 - in reply to #15858)
Subject: RE: synthetic gear lube

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
Dave,

I don't know if this will help you out much, but I'll share an experience we once went through. Some time ago, we had a New Holland self propelled forage harvester that had a gear box that was constantly getting too hot. New Holland actually had a coolant line that ran through this gear box to try and keep it cool. But it wasn't enough, at least not enough for us. New Holland had a warning light and buzzeer that would go off when the gear box got too hot, and it was constantly going off. So, I decided to try some synthetic gear oil. What a difference. The buzzer never went off again. I can't help but feel the synthetic has to be better in all lubricating functions. We now use synthetic gear oil in all applications that we feel are warranted or needed, such as the gear boxes that are involved in the chopping function on our Claas chopper and the gear boxes on our discbine hay mower. And just a side note, we use synthetic oils in other applications that we feel are justified. One such application, is, we use synthetic automatic transmission oil in our trucks that are used for hauling our haylage and corn silage from the field to the farm. Some farmers feel that automatic transmissions don't hold up in hard work or tough going, but we haven't had any problems, at least not with the synthetic transmission fluid in them.

best of luck with your situation, gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)