AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedress NH3 /Shearbolt Quality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BRIAN
Posted 5/29/2006 18:07 (#15738)
Subject: Sidedress NH3 /Shearbolt Quality

Graymont Illinois

If you read below I had a rocky start on side dressing but we got going. Sort of.

I switched tractors to a JD8400. Still learning tractor. 3 point controls a little different than what my older JD's

I had applicator buried till I got depth figured out. Anyway I sheared about 9 shear bolts on the same knife. On the first tank!

Scratching head on why that one knife kept shearing. It might have been 1" deeper than other knives. It was center knife , so no wheel track.

At times I was going 100', then shear again. First starting on end rows that are some of my hardest/compacted ground/soil type.

Had dad make a bolt/nut run. Told him to get the grade 5 or 8 bolts. He showed up just in time. Put my first grade 8 in and have not sheared another bolt. Were my 9 replacement bolts that bad?

I have some saddle tank frame  brackets that take  5/8 carriage bolts. I bought a bunch, and all of this batch if you tightened too much the heads popped off. Never had that problem before.

So., is there some "extra" soft bolts out there? My Blue Jet ripper sure went thru a ton of shear bolts from same place I bought these bolts. Big R, Brian

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)