AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gravity wagons
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 5/30/2006 06:45 (#15874 - in reply to #15635)
Subject: RE: Gravity wagons

West Union, Illinois

I've always heard 2 wagons were all that were legal in Illinois, but so far can't find chapter and verse. I did find this:

(625 ILCS 5/15-107) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 15-107)
(Text of Section before amendment by P.A. 94-713)
Sec. 15-107. Length of vehicles.
(a) The maximum length of a single vehicle on any highway of this State may not exceed 42 feet

(I won't include all the exceptions. Go to http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh... for the entire text)

Local fertilizer plant guys tell me Illinois now requires a truck pulling 2 anhydrous wagons to have dual rear wheels. Another interesting change is they now have hitch pins permanently attached to each anhydrous wagon. Some new statute requires it.

It has always amazed how we farmers seem to think we should be exempted from safety laws just because we are a farmer. For instance lighting and safety chains. How many of us actually use them like we should (and I admit being as guilty as anyone)?

Ever lose a towed implement? I lost a 21 ft disk one time. Sure was glad it was after meeting a car load of people and not just before ...

So, on the question of how many wagons. If you are pulling more than 2 you're a damn fool regardless of what the law allows.

Edited by Mike SE IL 5/30/2006 06:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)