AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gravel road tires for 3/4 ton?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4020dt
Posted 5/29/2006 10:26 (#15692 - in reply to #15591)
Subject: RE: Gravel road tires for 3/4 ton?

NC IL I80@68
We have been having pretty good luck with BFG All-terrrain's , 265-75's "D' rated . They have an extra ply (3) on sidewall and extra ply (5) on tread . We do lots of gravel and off road too , gooseneck stock and flat bed trailer . Ran them on K3500 Chevys for ten years or so and now have them on the Duramax . Run 30-35,000/yr on this truck . Tires last about 40,000 mi , I know lots of people get more miles out of a set of tires but that's about all I can get . We run 70-75 on highway , loaded or empty , and probably way too fast on gravel too .
I had a set of Firestone Steeltex 265's a few years back , wore good , probably lasted more miles than the BFG's but seemed like when half the tread was gone traction was real poor . Seemes to me the BFG's pull prety good down to about the end of the tread life . The BFG's aren't cheap though , seems like the best deal seems to be around $175 +- .
I did notice that it seemed like the Firestones weren't as stable going down the highway as the BFG's when pulling the trailer and I always keep the tires inflated to the maximum recommended psi , that is real important .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)