AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

meat from cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 8/13/2007 18:21 (#186769 - in reply to #186590)
Subject: RE: meat from cow

I am guessing down ward--'Meant' 720__ was whole carcass hanging weight,,,half or a side would weigh 360 to 400 or so,,,but you cant grow half a cow. So he was correct in saying halves, just they come in pairs!!

Also when you say cow,,,then say buy a calf,,,lots of difference. If you are talking buying a couple weaned calves and growing them up to a 'market weight heifer or steer' thats very doable. Probably MORE work than you think it should be. AND you MUST have a feed source of 20-40 pounds (all they will eat)of corn per every day without fail for the last 150-200 days,,,a half to a pound of protein pellets and 3-5 pounds of hay, preferably alfalfa. AND plenty of grass and or hay for all the days preceding that as well as a little grain!!

Here's the downside of doing this. IF you have a death loss of one animal you either LOST 50 or 100% of your crop and inputs to date. And it IS possible to lose 2 of 2 also. Specially IF you are talking of starting with baby bottle calves,,,steep learning curve there!!!

Other main question of the day,,,do you have 'kids' at home?? MOST kids make pets out of 1 or 2 calves, steers, or heifers and become attached to them,,,the prospect of putting them in the freezer and them EATTING them,,,just wont float in MOST households!!! Will it YOURS??? For instance my kids would allow me to take one out a whole group and freeze one,no problem,,,but they were once raising a blind calf,,,made me promise we werent gonna eat the blind one!! (see how that works??)

Carefully weigh the pros and cons,,,you can probably buy a whole or half from a feeder for same dollars and have it custom processed,,,THAT is 100% guarentee of good eatting!! better than grocery store meat that resembles shoe leather!! And much more resonable prices!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)