AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting on fertilizer with ripper?? What do you think??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 5/29/2006 01:12 (#15620 - in reply to #15581)
Subject: RE: Also.......

Renville Minnesota

HEy dude,

So far Ive had to write this 13 times in the past 48 hours, so hopefully this will be the last.

I like strip till.    I think its the way to go.............If it works for you.   Here is our deal.

The past years we have received some form of manure on at least 25% of our acres. We also raise Navies (or is it Navy's?) on 15% of our acres.   So on 40% of our acres we need or I should say really, really, really like to to full width tillage.  We feild cultivate our end rows and odd rows in the feilds that were stripped before planting.

In last years bean ground (stripped with Redball) we have never had any problems planting corn.   The strips are warm, and dry on top, with moisture underneath, even this year as wet as it was, all that is needed is the top to dry, and with it being flat and black, thats what it did.   Its awsome planting on strips, very smooth.   To my dying day, I will claim to never have given up one dollar in profit in strip tilled corn (in bean residue), compared to any other form of tillage we have done "here". 

Our problem is in corn residue for beans.   Weve done it in the fall, and it works, but not the best after a 3" rainfall.  "here" we could not make it work in the spring, something we bet big on this year.

I farm with two great fellers, and the worlds best full time employee, who all put up with me on my crabby days.   On average they are twice my age. We all feel the need to simplify things.

In the last four years we have tried many, many things. Most of them have worked, but this year we had enough.   All the equipment, and trying many different "snake oils" is getting old.  It was fun, but this spring possibly took a couple years of my life span.

I think If I were a one man operation, with 1500 acres to plant, strip till is the way to go (corn/soy rotation and no manure).   Three of us are exhousted, one of us has patience of the gods (he will probly out live me :^

We have also found a weed shift.  Dandelions, feild bindweed, and prickly lettuce have come into play.  Yup, its cheaper to control it with the sprayer than tillage, and probly more environmentally sound (maybe???), but for us, its another downfall. 

I have a good freind who is sticking with strip till and some no-till beans.  I think he might try some cover crops this fall.   If it works for him, it would work for us.  We are just mentally shot right now.

The tile plow is hooked up and ready to go.   Cant beleive how many spots we did not think need it. 

Sorry to make this short story long.

BTW: Your welcome to come see the sprayer in action any time, though, you might be riding in it instead of talking on the ends :^)   

Im not a very good wordsmith here, so I apologize if this sounds blunt or harsh, just have a question. 

In relation to your post, Id have to ask:   What are you trying to gain by applying your fert. with a DMI type tool?   

The banded Vs. broadcast thing doesn't fly with me, especially in a full tillage operation. Fertilizer is not the funnest thing to work with.  You can save some cash by applying it yourself, but one thing for sure is, it costs you time.   Humid days are not fun.  Youd have to work out a tender deal with your supplier.

Two steps forward and maybe 1.90 steps back.........Maybe?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)