AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outback e drive vs trimble ez pilot
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

north1
Posted 12/18/2011 12:54 (#2110092)
Subject: outback e drive vs trimble ez pilot

North Dakota
Am new to autoguidance and considering an outback edrive and s3 or a trimble ez pilot and 750. They would be installed on a versatile hht 4wd articulated tractor and airseeder with 10" spacing. Would be seeding cereal grains, canola, flax etc. Has anyone had the experience to compare both systems on accuracy, line recognition speed, ease of installation and price? Starting from scratch as far a receivers, monitors etc. Would like to mount receiver on the cab not the hood. Any problems doing this with either system? Did a search before this post and couldn't come up with anything specific to my situation. Thanks for any and all replies.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stepheng67
Posted 12/18/2011 14:15 (#2110217 - in reply to #2110092)
Subject: Re: outback e drive vs trimble ez pilot

Are you talking about using the edriveTC or edriveX? S3 and eDriveX are and excellent combination. This is a hydraulicly plumbed system. It is not an electric steering wheel. I have an eDriveX on an articulated JD 9520 and I have the reciever mounted on the cab, and this system works very well. I have other articulated 4wd tractors with the eDriveTC and I mount the receiver on the hood--this system works well with the receiver on the hood. I think you would be happier with the eDriveX versus the eDriveTC. I don't know anything about the Trimble equipment. Realize I am partial to Outback as I am also a dealer, but I did not become an Outback dealer until after I was a satisfied customer. With that said, we also farm more than 3000 acres of rice, and about 750 acres of winter wheat. We also do row crops when the price makes sense for us to do so. I have a JD 9520 with S3/EdriveX, 2 JD 8330 with S3/edriveX, 3 JD 8300 with S2 and STS/edriveTC, JD 7810 with S2/edriveTC,2 JD 8x60 series 4wd with S2 or STS/edriveTC, JD 9860 STS combine with edriveTC, JD 4995 swather with STS/edriveVSI, spreader truck with S-Lite, and spreader truck with S2. Everything on my farm runs Outback Guidance and I am pleased. I have some used Outback equipment for sale--check out my add on the classifieds on this website.
north1
Posted 12/18/2011 14:20 (#2110222 - in reply to #2110092)
Subject: RE: outback e drive vs trimble ez pilot

North Dakota
Sorry, I didn't elaborate. Yes I was referring to outback e-drive x with the s3.
Digger
Posted 12/18/2011 15:08 (#2110294 - in reply to #2110092)

North Dakota
Right now from what I have seen there is not alot of feedback on the ez-pilot since there is a limited number being used due to them being released late in the year. From the few that have used them the feedback sounds good.
I think you have to compare the trimble auto pilot if your thinking e-drive x to get apples to apples.
I run 750s with ez-steer and have been very happy with the 750s and think for the money is a good system. After while something with better line aquisition would be nice, like a hyd. system has. The best would be to demo something but it is nice to have things insatalled and ready for spring.
One other thing you might want to check is what it costs to upgrade the S3 and an e-drive x to omni. With Trimble it is a 2000 $ unlock. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I think it costs more to do the outback. I ran on waas for quite a few years and switched to omni 2 years ago. Much happier with the consistency of the Omni signal.
Also if tracking different crop varieties while seeding is maybe something that might interest you make sure to check each monitor out or what monitor they have that could be upgraded to. Plenty of choices and sometimes to many and will make your head spin.
caseihfarmer
Posted 12/18/2011 16:57 (#2110435 - in reply to #2110092)

East Central, Nebraska
one thing that I always try to consider even though all you might need now is guidance you may need to use that system for clutches and all that fun stuff in the future. dont short yourself now. Outback always seamed more expensive to me so i buy trimble and agleader stuff, which also seem to broaden my horizons a little.

Edited by caseihfarmer 12/18/2011 16:59
stepheng67
Posted 12/19/2011 13:23 (#2112159 - in reply to #2110435)

You can do section control with Outback and you can map and label your varieties and export that information to SMS software. I have not priced Trimble in a while. To get accurate pricing, you really need to know all the features you want up front. With some systems there are unlock codes, with others it takes a different receiver without unlock codes. It really takes some research to compare prices. Different features cost different amounts from different providers; therefore, the total price must be considered. Basic auto steer from one manufacturer to another may vary quite a bit, but are you considering whether it is an electric steering wheel, bang bang hydraulics, or proportional hydraulics?

Best advice would be to try to figure out what you want now and what you may want to add in the next year or so and price the system with the upgrades you may want to add, but ever take your mind off of total price.
AgTechWA
Posted 12/23/2011 10:09 (#2120410 - in reply to #2110092)

Are you in need of pricing for an EZ Pilot System? We have a few EZ Pilots out right now and the results have been very good. We have put them in use on a variety of terrain not just flat rolling grounds. You will not see the same results all the time as you would with a full auto-pilot but when looking between the two systems, EZ Pilot results are great.

Costs:

EZ - Pilot - $4,750 (Full Kit)

Omni Unlock - $2,000

CFX 750 - $3,000

FMX - $6,000

Add $2,000 to get each of those displays capable of running RTK with radios but add another $2,000 for that unlock if you are using it.
stepheng67
Posted 1/8/2012 00:18 (#2149271 - in reply to #2110092)

I don't know if you made a decision on your autosteer, but here is some used stuff I posted in Classifieds: http://agtalkplus.com/?q=node/22700
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)