AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

windrower: pivot tongue or SP?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KSUFarmer
Posted 5/28/2006 21:01 (#15554 - in reply to #15512)
Subject: RE: windrower: pivot tongue or SP?

We just went through this dilema the past couple of weeks. We found a used Hesston SP in the paper and went and bought it. It looked decent on the outside and the engine ran well (descrived as "field ready" in the ad). It had some oil caked on the hydraulic motors and hydro, so the guy we bought it from said we should power wash it off before we used it. We did. It leaked the hydraulic oil out faster than we could put it back in after we cleaned it up. Dealer said the cost to fix it right would be between $3000 and $10000 depending on what they found with the hydro apart. We called the seller and got our money back. Our lesson learned was, they might appear nice, but it don't take much to really cost a lot in repairs. My uncle did the same at an auction. Barely got it home and the transmission went out. Now it sets in a pasture to rust down.

So, we found a real nice JD 1600A (we've always had JD hydra swings) and got it yesterday for less $$ and it is 16 as compared to 14 foot like we usually run. It would have been nice to not have to jocky a tractor between baler and swather, but to find a real good SP, it would have been close to $20000. Our "new" hydra swing was not even close to $10000. So far we've used it on 40 acres of alfalfa and it is awesome. I'd go with the hydra swing if I were you with no more acres than you are cutting, but that is your decision. Good luck.

KSUFarmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)