AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NW Iowa land auction, $20000 an acre!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 12/7/2011 15:22 (#2089883 - in reply to #2089764)
Subject: RE: With only 240 acres...

Alton, Ia
where did you read any of that? I don't believe it.

A couple years ago, on a cold winter night evidently, I made a little spreadsheet on number of cows, beef, and hogs raised in Sioux county, then a rough assumption on manure production and then an equally rough assumption on crop input needs, and I came up with 44% of our county's crop needs were being met by manure. The reason for doing so was a large co-op was building an inbound fertilizer rail terminal and I questioned the judgement of such, in this region. Said Co-op eventually went belly up and is now merged/overtaken by a larger entity. Go figure. Anyway, I was somewhat surprised the percent was below 50, it indicated to me there was still room for livestock production to increase greatly in NW IA.

Unless you are located very close to SD, it wouldn't pay to haul manure there, especially hog or worse yet dairy. I wouldn't even want to look at the manure plan that would involve. Yikes.....

And I really love the part about how rules are relaxed here. Now that's funny, I don't care who you are........

Edited by Oliver1 12/7/2011 15:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)