AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to improve Soil tilth, soillife, ed winkle and other smart guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

behog
Posted 11/18/2011 11:57 (#2055832 - in reply to #2054973)
Subject: so, how do i fix it

frederick, MD

I know the compaction is a problem.   I am looking into fixing the manure spreader compaction problem.   Trying to find a spreader with lower compaction.  Bigger, more tires, or tracks.   I put massive single tires on the tractor.

The silage trucks are a bigger problem to deal with.   My custom operator has been putting on flotation tires, But my trucks do not have flotation tires, although I am looking into getting them.

The Nitrogen thing really has me thinking.  How do I fix that?   I am thinking maybe using slower release Nitrogen on my tritical Silage.  But what about corn??  I am thinking that there is probally plenty of nitrogen out their for my corn, But it is mostly organic, so its not available early in the season.  That is probally why we have to broadcast 100 lbs of UAN to get a good corn crop.  Maybe we should put down less and put it down as a starter.   Just enough to get the corn going.  Maybe 20-30 lbs, 2x2 with the planter.  This will get my corn off to a good start, and maybe all the manure nitrogen will become available as it warms up.  Am I thinking right??  Is all the N burning up my organic matter???

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)