AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Report on our Cover Crop Field Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 11/12/2011 12:51 (#2046586 - in reply to #2046538)
Subject: Re: Report on our Cover Crop Field Day

Martinsville, Ohio
It's merely an observation at this point, one time deal but I think it can be replicated and want to try it again.

The seed was sowed with the beans set at 220k for double crop. We never got quite that much on and the radish ran through like a sieve in places and the seed monitor went wild. Places they were too thick, other places not. They were all killed with Ignite except a few like the one in the picture.

Ideally I would like a separate way to sow the radish ahead of the openers like a broadcaster or the grass seed attachment on some drills. Dial the rate down to about one to two pounds per acre.

I can almost give the radish 60 days of growth with a good burndown and residual which we all should do anyway. But I think the good is early in plant development for the yield effect and not a big radish that loosens the soil, like my accidental wheat with radish seed in the box years ago. The radish didn't live long enough before winter to get big but they increased wheat yield 12 bu and I was able to duplicate that experiment twice.

Back to the field before a week of expected rain we don't need.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)