AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Leader 3020 G4 spinner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pauls
Posted 11/5/2011 15:05 (#2034759)
Subject: New Leader 3020 G4 spinner

Is there a spread sheet with general recommendations on fan frame setting, spinner speed, ground speed, spread width, etc...? I know you will still need to pan test, just looking for a starting point. I have been operating a 3020 G4 mounted on a terra gator for 3 years now, but I inherited the job and was given instructions by old timers set in their ways.

I have always spread with a 60 ft spread width, fan speed of 600 for fertilizer, and 800 for ag lime. I do change the density in the computer (New Leader DP6) to match the density of the product. My acres are always close and the amount of fertilizer I am to apply matches my acres applied.

I do have the option to run VRT (variable rate) and I do use this a little. How does running variable rate affect my settings?

I have read the manuals which helped a little but I am wanting to learn as much as I can about this applicator.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tooth and nail
Posted 11/5/2011 17:51 (#2034908 - in reply to #2034759)
Subject: Re: New Leader 3020 G4 spinner

I run between 720 - 760 fert. 80' , 720 lime 60'
JHEnt
Posted 11/6/2011 07:00 (#2035644 - in reply to #2034759)
Subject: RE: New Leader 3020 G4 spinner

Southern Illinois

1st, you need to pan test to check pattern and spread width. Find the spinner rpms that get you spread width first then adjust fan position for pattern if at all possible.

Spinner rpm for width will depend on the height of the machine. Bigger tires will need slower fan speed for the same width.

Fan position, fert start around 3-3/4" and work from there, Lime run all the way back. You must have good blades to pan test fertilizer. If they are worn from lime application the replace the blades first. It is also important that you check the squareness of the fan frame to the bed.

Applicator
Posted 11/6/2011 09:50 (#2035900 - in reply to #2034759)

http://www.highwayequipment.com/highwayequipment/cmsdocuments/G4_Sp...
Read the New Leader spread pattern instructions very carefully more than one time.

A safe starting swath for fertilizer is to use the density (#/cu ft) as the swath (ft). For spinner rpm, start at 100 rpm for each 10 ft of swath. That will keep you out of trouble with your customers. Be very careful with urea, it will crush at too high a spinner speed and an unacceptable amount of powder will land right behind the spreader. This can not be seen without the test kit. Been there,done that.

Another potential problem is something that no spinner spreader rep will willingly tell you. The pattern will change with the load on the spinners. This means that changing the rate or vehicle speed will alter the pattern. As the amount of fertilizer on each blade increases, it takes slightly longer for it to get off the blade. The spinner disk has now rotated a little longer and will throw the fertilizer more to the outside. The pattern will lighten up in the center and get heavier on the outside with a heavier load. A slight change will not be a problem, but the bigger the speed and rate change, the bigger the pattern change. The change in patterns with the same fertilizer mystified me for years, until I realized this.
pauls
Posted 11/7/2011 21:38 (#2038584 - in reply to #2035900)

Thanks for all the recommendations.
cr39
Posted 3/19/2014 09:25 (#3762855 - in reply to #2038584)

I would reccomend riding in the back of the spreader looking back and seeing the fert spread out. I did this yesterday and my brother drove. Too low spinner speed, the fert will just ride on the spinner longer and it will shoot it out really far, but will probably be light right behind the spinners. You need to speed the spinners up enough that you don't see any bands of fertilizer, you just see a blur.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)