AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self Propelled Sprayer vs. Pull Type Sprayer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

OregonFarmer
Posted 11/3/2011 21:49 (#2032523)
Subject: Self Propelled Sprayer vs. Pull Type Sprayer

In the market for a new sprayer, thinking of going to a Self Propelled but do not want to miss the 4WD of the wheel tractor or pulling power of the Challenger. What do you guys like about your self propelled, would you ever go back to pull type. What are some of the favorite brands of Self Propelled? Also does anyone have any pictures of their tender truck setups?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
430Deere
Posted 11/3/2011 21:57 (#2032552 - in reply to #2032523)
Subject: RE: Self Propelled Sprayer vs. Pull Type Sprayer

Middlesex County - ON
We just moved, last year, from a 60' Hardi pull type to a JD 4700 90' boom. Would never ever think of ever going back to a pull type. Frees up a tractor, covers much more ground quicker. If you are worried about going places and needing the power, you have all-wheel drive with a SP, and if you get it stuck, you would also be stuck with a pull type. We did stick our 4700 this spring, and if it had been our pull type, it would have dropped out of site! The speed and boom width is the biggest gain for us. As far as other advantages, the Deere has by far, the smoothest ride. Air bags on all corners is far better than spring ride. There are lots of used Deere's on the market. As with all equipment, I am sure there are horror stories too, but the customer operators and outlets in our area all run Deere's of various ages. If spraying in wet conditions is an issue, I would lean toward the smaller (80'-90' boom with 800 gallon max.) models, as the added weight of the largest booms and huge tanks can really weigh up.

On your second note: tender trucks....I too was looking for some ideas. I had once saw a guy that converted a beverage truck into a tender. Nice, clean job, close the doors and hit the road. I am looking for some more info on installing tanks and plumbing to a pump in such a rig. Maybe I'll start a new post, so this one doens't get too busy. (I guess I already broke that rule with this LENGTHY response!!!)
john john
Posted 11/3/2011 22:04 (#2032575 - in reply to #2032523)

Central louisiana
Self propelled. Faster, smoother, always ready to go. Only negative for me is that it is heavy. Tractor with duals may stay up better in soft conditions but wouldn't go back to tractor.
earp
Posted 11/3/2011 22:11 (#2032593 - in reply to #2032523)
Subject: Re: Self Propelled Sprayer vs. Pull Type Sprayer

Manila, Ar
my area has alot of cotton and SP sprayers are just as important as the planter.................Deere is the most popular follow by Case IH, there is good dealer support for both. If you go with SP, i would suggest going with the GPS technology that turns the boom sections on and off(it's a chemcal/ money saver)
Steiger Man
Posted 11/3/2011 22:22 (#2032618 - in reply to #2032523)

Sunburst Montana

Currently run a JD 4930.  Started with a JD 4710.  No way would we ever go back to a pull type.  Case and JD rule around here with a small scattering of Apaches.  Every year there gets to be more self propelled sprayers around here.  As people realize how more convenient and productive they are. 

nbfarms
Posted 11/3/2011 22:43 (#2032689 - in reply to #2032523)

SP here. never had anything else, we are going on second year now. We have an apache. Its less money and not as big or made for lots of acres. It is a farmer size sprayer. we spray at about 11 mph with 90ft booms. Wheat ground we can go 13-14 mph. Apache is direct drive, 2 wd. Never tested it, but everyone says that it will do just as good or better than a 4 wd jd in mud since it is direct drive. Con is that it does not have the clearance a jd would have. Chest high corn is probably max height you could spray.
And here is a link to one of my posts with pics. The plumbing is different now, water comes out of tank, goes to pump, then goes through two induction cones then out. Also have a tote for roundup. if you get a sp and have fields spread out oat all, this is really nice. You can go to a field and have everything u need. tender and sprayer.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=219956&posts=2...

Old Pokey
Posted 11/3/2011 22:45 (#2032695 - in reply to #2032523)

I will have both. I need the sp for those super soft conditions when I have to rip a field before planting. But I want the productivity size of the pt.

(DSC00919.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00919.jpg (61KB - 545 downloads)
hoot435
Posted 11/3/2011 23:13 (#2032758 - in reply to #2032695)

oklahoma panhandle
Self propelled is only way to go. Look at SprayCoupe if weight is a problem!
Smoothlander
Posted 11/3/2011 23:32 (#2032786 - in reply to #2032523)

Running a rogator 854 here now but would love to go to a 8xxxRT and a boom one day. Self propelled is nice but it seems like we are spraying less and less and don't need another rig sitting around 9 months of the year.
Agsales1
Posted 11/4/2011 00:03 (#2032815 - in reply to #2032552)

A self propelled sprayer is a money maker by far. As far as what type of sprayer. You should take a hard look at an Apache sprayer. They are light weight, the ride is excellent with their patented suspension, fuel economy is a money saver in itself. Not to mention, the view out of the cab is just like driving a tractor, you can see the front tires just the same as a tractor. The Apache is mechanical drive machine, which allows you to save money in fuel savings as well as weight. The other big name sprayers on the market are very well built too, but in my opinion the Apache's benefits to make your business money far out ways the other guys.........and yes I do sell the Apache sprayer, but I am a believer in selling something that is going to make a farmer money in the end......there are many pros and cons to all of the self-propelled sprayers out there in the end it all comes down to what makes sense for your farm.
MN Dave 2
Posted 11/4/2011 01:40 (#2032880 - in reply to #2032523)

I'm sure that the self propelled are a LOT handier than a pull type, however, I bought a pretty decent used pull type with hyd fold 90' booms and a 1200 gallon tank with all spray monitors a couple of years ago for $16500. I use it behind a MFD with 500 gallon saddle tanks. @10/ acre I can spray a 160 acre field without stopping to fill. It would be nice to have a $$ self propelled, but just can't make it make sense for me.
minnmc
Posted 11/4/2011 07:31 (#2032976 - in reply to #2032880)

west central MN
we too have been running a sp , patriot, for ten years but with the 750 gal tank and 80 ft. booms, we don't get the productivity that a pull type with a 1200 or larger tank would provide, and the cab on the 7830 tractor is a lot more comfortable than that sprayer. Yes the sprayer is very manuverable and light footed, but spraying upwards of 9000 acres in a year gets to be a lot of fill stops. A SP with a bigger boom and tank would help too, but then you're looking at serious money.
Jon B
Posted 11/4/2011 07:39 (#2032987 - in reply to #2032523)

I think your conditions may be different then others; when you mention that you use a 4wd or Challenger to pull a sprayer, I imagine a lot of steep hills, similar to what 98j, NIF, and other hilly posters have. In that respect, you likely need something with low center of gravity; thus a self propelled sprayer might not be a viable option. I'd buy a 1600+ gallon sprayer and probably with wheel booms.

Of course, if your land is flat....its a wash.
jeff s
Posted 11/4/2011 09:07 (#2033110 - in reply to #2032987)

Depends on your size but I went together with a couple neighbors bought a cih 4410 100ft. boom sprays 1000 acres plus a day best deal I ever made spreads out the cost

Glenn W.
Posted 11/4/2011 11:34 (#2033312 - in reply to #2032523)

Southeast Washington

Jon B is right if the farm includes much for hills. In my area which is the foothills of the Blue Mountains there are three Apache sprayers, a Patriot, a Miller Condor, and a GVM Prowler. That is about it and the farmers that own them have at least two additional pull sprayers to use with their tractors in the bad areas. Most promising appear to be the mechanical drive sprayers as the hydrualic drive units just won't hook up on the hills and lose traction and just can't go.

Everything has to be over-designed for the hills. What may be heavy duty for flat country may still not be adequate for the hills. Another thing that you hate to talk about but the lack of ROPS in the sprayers while the tractors do have them is another consideration.

lonetreeranch
Posted 11/5/2011 10:17 (#2034527 - in reply to #2032523)

SE Saskatchewan Canada
Lots of good replies already.. In our case the business decision was easy. We were running a 100 ft field sprayer at a max 7-9 mph and not keeping up. Our land is spread out over 20 mile area so moving quickly to different farms was a large process to move machinery and water trucks to specific fields. With the high clearance flat field spraying at 18 mph and the ability to move the sprayer to a centrally located water source has made this one of the most valuable and most used pieces of equipment in our fleet. We were extremely wet in our region this year and did not get a lot of land seeded, the 4wd high clearance sprayer still got its job done, can just about go through anything..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)