AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting rid of snakes??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iluvafarmer
Posted 10/16/2011 14:10 (#2006433)
Subject: Getting rid of snakes??

Eastern Nebraska

I have a friend that has snakes in her basement... I would like to know if there are any of you that have had this problem and how you have been able to get rid of them... I have googled and yes get all kinds of hits... Most of them want to sell you something... It is not a problem to buy a product to get rid of them but I would like to know what has worked for you please... They are bull snakes and garter snakes... Thank you for your help... Betsy

Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 10/16/2011 14:28 (#2006447 - in reply to #2006433)
Subject: RE: Getting rid of snakes??

central - east central Minnesota -

iluvafarmer - 10/16/2011 13:10

I have a friend that has snakes in her basement... I would like to know if there are any of you that have had this problem and how you have been able to get rid of them... I have googled and yes get all kinds of hits... Most of them want to sell you something... It is not a problem to buy a product to get rid of them but I would like to know what has worked for you please... They are bull snakes and garter snakes... Thank you for your help... Betsy

There are only 2 reason's snakes would be in a basement -
1. The basement was their homeland first -before being built . . . .
2. Food and habitat is ideal for them . . .

I would suggest getting rid of the food / habitat and after a few yrs (yes, it takes that long to ensure they are either dead, moved on to better food / habit or retrained).
I'd be willing to bet, the outside of the foundation is full of overgorwn weeds, taller grass, wood chips, brush or overgrown stuff.
Get rid of it - scrap it down to dirt and out several feet.
Now look at the foundation - plug all holes up. Water can find the smallest cracks to get in a basement - so will snakes, mice and other insects. Spend some money and excavate down a ways and start caulking and plugging holes - then regrade. Don't forget to seal between where the foundation and sideing meet.
Now do some landscapeing with products that will not promote habitat for insects, rodents or snakes. (concrete works good).
Clean up the rest of the yard - good green maintained lawn goes along way to keeping insects, rodents and snakes away.
I recently started (last 3yrs) spraying a property line fence, (that's been a over grown mess), that's about 100ft away from our house/yard with Glypho . ..  the mice and chipmunk population is pretty much gone. No mice trying to make their way toward my house anymore.
It doesn't take any "wonder" product to rid a residence of pests - just some common approches to make their enviroment not very friendly - and they will move on . . .
If the yard is clean and the home is build in a snake neighborhood (know of a house that was). Then sealing holes is the primary thing to helping them move on to better habitit/food.

tallgrassneil
Posted 10/16/2011 14:33 (#2006451 - in reply to #2006447)

West Texas

I agree with everything said, and would add, "get a cat".  The cat will help reduce the number of snake snacks running around, and some cats actively hunt the smaller snakes.

coyotehunter
Posted 10/16/2011 15:01 (#2006476 - in reply to #2006451)

chickens are very carnivorous animals as well, our exterminator uses crushed moth balls and sprinkles it around the foundation, been working well, we also got several cans of expandable foam and sealed all the cracks in the basement walls and around the house. i think once fall comes around they seem to migrate back to where they spent the last winter, maybe thats just me tho.
don@nebr
Posted 10/16/2011 21:48 (#2006980 - in reply to #2006447)
Subject: Re: Getting rid of snakes??

I think Billy the extermninator used garlic and eugentaloils,whatever they are.
Jon S
Posted 10/16/2011 15:05 (#2006485 - in reply to #2006433)

You need a good work cat. Don't feed the cat too much cat food...just enough to be considered vitamins. Let them get the main course in the wild and they will work FOR you.

(cat vs. snake 017 (400 x 600).jpg)

(cat vs. snake 018 (400 x 600).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cat vs. snake 017 (400 x 600).jpg (87KB - 832 downloads)
Attachments cat vs. snake 018 (400 x 600).jpg (98KB - 859 downloads)
BIGASH Farms
Posted 10/16/2011 15:11 (#2006494 - in reply to #2006433)

MN
pour bleach in holes that they use. Yes, it works.
jd8850
Posted 10/16/2011 17:59 (#2006632 - in reply to #2006433)

Roseglen, North Dakota
Some years ago my wife killed 40-50 snakes in our basement until it overwhelmed her. My dad and I (with some other help) dug around the perimiter of the house 1 foot square, put up a footing board, and poured concrete up on to the siding about 2". That was the end of the snakes. You have to seal up their entry points.
dougpettman
Posted 10/16/2011 19:21 (#2006713 - in reply to #2006433)

Tillsonburg Ont
The only snake call I had had mice in the house. I baited the mice with blocks and ZP powder.In the area the I snake was in placed a damp blanket down. When the snake crawls under smak with a shovel.
JohnW
Posted 10/16/2011 20:00 (#2006760 - in reply to #2006433)

NW Washington
You better hope you are not living over a garter snake den where they accumulate to over winter, like this house in South Eastern Idaho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlYDuMdBFA

They had to abandon the house.
Howdyjabo
Posted 10/16/2011 21:55 (#2007001 - in reply to #2006760)

NC
Do you have king snakes up there?
Put one of them in the basement and the rest will leave or be eaten- then you only have one very nice snake to deal with.
iluvafarmer
Posted 10/17/2011 00:26 (#2007280 - in reply to #2007001)

Eastern Nebraska
Thank you for all the very useful information.... Yes the yard needs tending and could be amajor contributor... There is a water problem sometimes in the basement so that could explain how they are getting in... I will pass on this very useful information... Thank you for taking that time to respond... Betsy
trakman
Posted 10/17/2011 08:37 (#2007507 - in reply to #2006433)

Central Kansas
You probably wouldn't want to do this in a house you are currently living in but had a neighbor that had a un-occupied house that had snakes in the basement, he went and got an Anhydrous tank from the elevator, stuck the hose in the basement window and turned the anhydrous on......................no more snakes!
Mike Shimek
Posted 10/17/2011 10:02 (#2007619 - in reply to #2006433)

High Springs, Florida
Around here, snakes get rid of you!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)