AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

freightliner air conditioning
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tiger6620
Posted 7/13/2007 18:53 (#173851)
Subject: freightliner air conditioning

Nw Iowa
1989 freightliner fld 120, bought the truck this winter and the AC compressor was bypassed with shorter fan belts. Figured the comp was shot so I put on a new compressor, reciever/dryer, and had to replace one line that had pin hole leaks than ran from the dryer to the condenser in front of the radiator. Do they have an expansion valve or something like an orfice tube?? and where would this be located and should it be replaced? I haven't done alot of freon work nor do I have the guages to fill or the pump to suck it down. I had a friend who's a truck mechanic charge the system at his place with 134, when i drove it home yesterday it was somewhat of a cool day it it seemed to blow pretty cold air but now today it's barely cool. More leaks? where should I look? fill it again with a leak dye? or replace the expansion valve???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Downwardspiral
Posted 7/13/2007 21:22 (#173910 - in reply to #173851)
Subject: Re: freightliner air conditioning

Northern Indiana
Do you have a sleeper with rear air? Really need to hang a set of gagues on it to see what is going on.

If your buddy knows much about air conditioning I would work with him. Case of cold beer might also help.
Tuscy
Posted 7/13/2007 21:23 (#173912 - in reply to #173851)
Subject: RE: freightliner air conditioning

Tuscarora, MD
You may have air/ moisture in the system. If you do not evacuate the system properly after repairs you will not get the moisture out. Try sucking it down and leave the gauges on overnight with negative pressure. Check in the morning. If pressure holds you probably do not have a leak. Check the condenser and evaporator for plugs. Invest in gauges and possibly a pump. You can learn a lot by checking the high side and low side pressures. When charging always purge the air from the the inlet hose so as not to introduce air into the system. I dought it is the expansion valve based on what you said.

I've been told R-12 o-rings will leak R-134a out of the system. The molecular weight of R-134a is much less than R-12 and that is why it will slip by seals in R-12 systems. I've also heard stories of people doing everything wrong and having success, so go figure.

Jon

Edited by Tuscy 7/13/2007 21:26
plainsdrifter
Posted 7/13/2007 23:07 (#173961 - in reply to #173851)

south central nebraska
make sure your heater core valve is shutting off. The plastic grommit that holds the cable on the valve likes to break. The heater always wins in a battle with the ac.
plowboy
Posted 7/14/2007 00:42 (#174003 - in reply to #173912)

Brazilton KS
I've seen lots of cases where a system didn't leak vacuum but did leak pressure....and I really don't have all that much experience with air conditioning.
Tuscy
Posted 7/14/2007 06:35 (#174024 - in reply to #174003)
Subject: True. I said "probably".

Tuscarora, MD
It's a quick check and doesn't cost anything but time.
tommyw-5088
Posted 7/15/2007 13:03 (#174464 - in reply to #173961)
Subject: Re: freightliner air conditioning

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
i havent any experence with a FLD ,but any system in a mobile application (that i have seen annyway) has an orfice tube like a GM has or an expansion valve .the century trucks we have have an expansion valve in the sleeper along with a blower motor ,evap ., h. core ect . basically 2 seperate systems running off a "T" at the firewall ,from the compressor . about the only way you can figure out much at this point is with some gages ,im guessing the refigerant leaked out . in the case of a leak a "sniffer" and some floresent dye can help you find the leaks . your friend should have the necassary tools and know-how to fix it . ALOT of a truck mechanics job is a/c work this time of year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)